This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Some plasmoids show blank box after trying dashboard widgets

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
phenom64
Registered Member
Hey guys, I'm running kubuntu 8.04 with kde 4.1.2 and it was working great for a while. After trying some dashboard widgets (most didn't work very well) my plasma crashed and then restarted itself within seconds. most things came back to normal with the exception of moving a few plasmoids(native ones). But then I noticed that some of them were blank black boxes. I could resize them but they were seen as "unknown applet"s if I right clicked on them. Some of the plasmoids I speak of include Luna, Fuzzy Clock, and Comics.
I've tried to reset my plasma settings with:
kquitapp plasma; rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; plasma

This reset my desktop to normal, but after trying to open one of the aforementioned plasmoids I get the same blank applet.

Anybody else had this problem or know how to fix it? I don't think I've done anything else to it. I'm running twinview if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Josh
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Also try and remove the main plasma config file ( plasmarc ) as well. that may have been partially corrupted when plasma crashed and the applets may depend on that corrupted information.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
phenom64
Registered Member
Just tried that, I closed plasma, deleted both files this time and reopened plasma.
Unfortunately that didn't work.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try looking for config files that the luna applet, etc. may have created themselves. Also run kbuildsycoca4, the sycoca cache may be corrupt.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
phenom64
Registered Member
Ok well I fixed it. I did a package search in Adept Package Manager for plasma and re-installed everything and also installed kde-plasma-addons or something like that.
Thanks for your help though, thats why I love this linux thing!

Josh