This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma popups appear with no delay

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
flargen
Registered Member

Plasma popups appear with no delay

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 pm
Hi,

I really like KDE 4.8 but one very annoying thing is that popups from Plasma objects appear the instant the mouse hovers over something. This is especially annoying when you're doing something near the bottom panel and you go a couple of pixels too far onto the taskbar because a large popup appears instantly over your work.

I have found an option to turn these "Informational Tips" off altogether, but I would rather just make them come up after a second or two. Is there a way to do this in KDE?

Thanks
chupasangre
Registered Member
OS
I've got sort of a relative thing to yours. In my case the popups appear with some delay which is annoying and i'd very much appreciate if there were a way to adjust it. have u found something about the delays yet?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Which applet or part of Plasma are you experiencing this with in particular?
From what I understand, it usually is not possible to change the popup delay in Plasma.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
chupasangre
Registered Member
OS
all. when u move the cursor to an item either in taskbar or tray or kickoff u have to wait for some time before the popup is shown. also when you move the cursor along the menu which is by default in the right top corner of the screen u may notice that the items are highlighted with some delay. and i wonder if it's just something with my kde or is it common. i turned off all the effects but still the popups and the highlight is shown with a delay for maybe 200 ms. it's hardly a problem of performance. i think it's some sort of delay which i'd like to make tiny

there is a request i found about it
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=265584
and the guy says it was even an option for that. i don't know. i switched from gnome
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As far as I am aware, there has never been an option for this, the chosen delay time is hardcoded I believe.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
chupasangre
Registered Member
OS
This is strange, because one guy complains about it being too fast. Thank you for your replies. I'll keep digging.
apexik
Registered Member
Hi Gentlemen,
the panels are really useful for me, I put four ones on each screen edges but the mouse jitter always pops up the panel from any edge, this costs a lot of time on my work.
The mouse just touches the edge for a wee moment but would needed at least 200-300ms until the event activation.
Is it possible to include the configuration of the popup delay and the auto hide delays in the future develop?
And a little more greed on the activation of the panel to not on full edge along just a less part, then you can create more panels parallel on an edge.
thnx
Mamarok
Manager
OS
erm, you do realize that this thread is 7 years old. Are you really still using Plasma 4?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...