This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wish list (1° ?) ;-)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
TonyIT
Registered Member

Wish list (1° ?) ;-)

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:38 am
In an future update, could you plan an best filter in ledger view? I think a filter by date (for example).

The scheduled future transactions could be arrange by month with change of bottom's colours and view the sums of these.

In the ledger, often, I need a sum on the fly of selected transactions. Think about this: we can mark the transaction with an "A" and some else with a "B" and go on... then in some place we can read [SUM of A X.XX];[SUM of B X.XX];[...]

Cheers

TonyIT

TonyIT, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS

RE: Wish list (1° ?) ;-)

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:03 am
TonyIT wrote:In an future update, could you plan an best filter in ledger view? I think a filter by date (for example).

The scheduled future transactions could be arrange by month with change of bottom's colours and view the sums of these.

In the ledger, often, I need a sum on the fly of selected transactions. Think about this: we can mark the transaction with an "A" and some else with a "B" and go on... then in some place we can read [SUM of A X.XX];[SUM of B X.XX];[...]

Cheers

TonyIT

You can already filter the ledger by date, and show transactions that are older than a certain date, or in a certain state.

The other 2 are tasks that are better suited for reports, unless you want to end up with a bloated interface. You can have a report of schedules, we should only add a schedules by month one.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:59 am
Hei Ku wrote:You can already filter the ledger by date, and show transactions that are older than a certain date, or in a certain state.

You can filter the ledger by date and suppress transactions that are older than a certain date or filter transactions to be in a certain state.

I agree with not bloating the interface.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:35 am
You can also use the search bar over the ledger to filter transactions that match a certain text.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
TonyIT
Registered Member

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:17 pm
Hei Ku wrote:You can also use the search bar over the ledger to filter transactions that match a certain text.

Yes, I can use the "lens" found on the top to filter and display in a separate window the transactions but I have to work with two windows: one for see and one for input data... ok, ok. Stop.

I try to find some docs about the search bar over the ledger... But, this filter work only drilling on text and on number? Not on the dates?

This is one idea: [fuel ford >31/01/2008 <1/2/2008].And it can filter the translations trying to find "fuel" "ford" with a date between the dates indicated. This without touch and bloating the interface.

Cheers.

Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:14 pm
TonyIT wrote:
Hei Ku wrote:You can also use the search bar over the ledger to filter transactions that match a certain text.

Yes, I can use the "lens" found on the top to filter and display in a separate window the transactions but I have to work with two windows: one for see and one for input data... ok, ok. Stop.

I try to find some docs about the search bar over the ledger... But, this filter work only drilling on text and on number? Not on the dates?

This is one idea: [fuel ford >31/01/2008 <1/2/2008].And it can filter the translations trying to find "fuel" "ford" with a date between the dates indicated. This without touch and bloating the interface.

Cheers.

Could you explain a little bit more the scenario where you would need this? Perhaps we can find a better solution

TonyIT
Registered Member

Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:25 am

Could you explain a little bit more the scenario where you would need this? Perhaps we can find a better solution

I'll try... with my poor English :-( I apologies for that...

Then. In KMyMoney 0.9 you put a search bar in top of ledger's box. If I write "Scarpe di Gucci", it filters the transactions let me see only what match with the text "Gucci' shoes". That's ok, work fine.

My idea is simply: why not enrich this research with the date and the value?

I can write:
[list]
[*]gucci
[*]gucci (date: >31/12/2007)
[*]gucci (month: =12)
[*]gucci (year: =2007) (month: >7)
[*]gucci (date: >28/02/2007 28/02/2007 144,43)
[*](date: >28/02/2007 [/b]] [=]

What do you think?

:-)
Ciao!

Last edited by TonyIT on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:02 am
TonyIT wrote:My idea is simply: why not enrich this research with the date and the value?

I can write:
[list]
[*]gucci
[*]gucci (date: >31/12/2007)
[*]gucci (month: =12)
[*]gucci (year: =2007) (month: >7)
[*]gucci (date: >28/02/2007 28/02/2007 144,43)
[*](date: >28/02/2007 [/b]] [=]

What do you think?

Today, we simply reuse a standard KDE widget to do the search. This standard widget does not know anything about the semantics of the columns and thus would have a hard time to know where the date column is. It simply checks if any transaction data contains the text. It certainly does not provide an expression evaluation algorithm which we would need for your approach. Plus, we would need logical operations (AND, OR, NOT).

If you have such a widget for the transactions, people start out and want it for the other views as well. This could become some weird mechanic with the different fields one could use.

What is the problem with the transaction finder we provide today? Would it make a difference, if editing of a transaction is possible within the transaction finder dialog? That looks way simpler to implement than following your suggestion.

Just my 0.02 cents, you asked for them.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:04 pm
TonyIT wrote:The scheduled future transactions could be arrange by month with change of bottom's colours and view the sums of these.

This can be done with a transaction report. You only have to check the "Include future transactions" settings and set the dates to a future date.

About the ledger filter, I am more interested in what you are trying to achieve. What is your motivation behind having a filter? Having that, we can find a way to do it. For example, what Thomas (ipwizard) suggested.