This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Move away from CVS?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dentharg
Registered Member
OS

Move away from CVS?

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:06 pm
Is it possible that in near future KMyMoney repositories will move away from awkward CVS to something newer as SVN or Git? For at least something like better branching and merging?

dentharg, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS

RE: Move away from CVS?

Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:08 pm
Hmmm, I have 2 points of view about this.
First, let me tell you that I agree that CVS is not the best VMS out there. And SVN neither. I would go straight to git or something similar. But it fills our needs for now. We don't do much branching and merging, and when we do, we can manage it locally.
Our plan is to integrate further with KDE, so we will probably end up in whatever repository KDE uses at that point. SVN, or most likely, git.

That leads to my 2nd point of view on this. The choice of a VMS is made by developers. So, whatever fits best with our development workflow and our infrastructure needs will be the choice. About 5 developers are currently active, each with a distinct area of development, no need for branches and merges. Using a DVMS is an overkill at this point and not worth the migration effort per se. "If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it" applies here.

If you are interested, there is a git mirror out there. It gets updated hourly.

Anyways, please give git a chance and try it yourself. To checkout, just do
git clone git://github.com/yllohy/kmymoney2.git kmymoney2.git

Have fun!

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
dentharg
Registered Member
OS

RE: Move away from CVS?

Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:48 pm
Thanks! This is excellent news, as I already planned to make my own mirror on github :)

dentharg, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.