This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

importing qdf files from quicken

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
terryt
Registered Member

importing qdf files from quicken

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:37 pm
I am using quicken 2004 deluxe, can i import the qdf files
zebulon
Registered Member
OS
I am not a Quicken user myself, but if you can use QUicken to export a Quicken Web Connect file (.qfx), KMyMoney will be able to import it as an OFX file.
rblackwell
Registered Member
OS
terryt wrote:I am using quicken 2004 deluxe, can i import the qdf files

I moved from Quicken to KMyMoney earlier this year. Although the move wasn't seamless, I did manage to transfer six bank accounts, four charge accounts and three investment accounts with just a little work. Although I was able to move related transactions, details of a loan and a line of credit had to be established separately. As reported by zebulon, you'll first need to export your Quicken data to a *.QFX file. If memory serves me correctly I found it necessary to;

- transfer one account at a time, transferring the main account first, followed by all others.
- set Quicken to export all data (Categories and such) only with the first account (Subsequent exports will use this detail thus no need to duplicate the effort)
- I utilized KMyMoney categories so it was necessary to relate existing (Quicken) categories with KMyMoney categories. If you pay close attention to import screens and spend time matching KMyMoney Categories with your imported Categories final cleanup will be a lot easier.
- To ensure accuracy I continued to run Quicken in parallel with KMyMoney. My import occurred mid month so I used both until month end.

Although my import wasn't seamless I'm glad I changed to KMyMoney. Features took a little getting used to but speed of operation and functionality far out way anything Quicken offers.
zebulon
Registered Member
OS

Re: importing qdf files from quicken

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:28 pm
I did all my transfers using QIF files. I found it worked best if you first define all your accounts in KMM up front with the proper names (matching the names in the import files). Make sure the start date of the account is older than the oldest imported transaction.
pmj
Registered Member
Just starting the process of importing QIFs from Quicken.
Is it _necessary_ to create the accounts in KMM first?
I exported an account from Quicken.
The import process placed all the transactions in the Ledger for that account (or accounts for transfers).
But it didn't create any accounts in the Accounts window.
The process also created some duplicate "accounts" in the Ledger - which I can't delete.
Will continue searching ...
mcarpino
Registered Member
OS

Re: importing qdf files from quicken

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:36 pm
rblackwell wrote:
terryt wrote:I am using quicken 2004 deluxe, can i import the qdf files

I moved from Quicken to KMyMoney earlier this year. Although the move wasn't seamless, I did manage to transfer six bank accounts, four charge accounts and three investment accounts with just a little work. Although I was able to move related transactions, details of a loan and a line of credit had to be established separately. As reported by zebulon, you'll first need to export your Quicken data to a *.QFX file. If memory serves me correctly I found it necessary to;

- transfer one account at a time, transferring the main account first, followed by all others.
- set Quicken to export all data (Categories and such) only with the first account (Subsequent exports will use this detail thus no need to duplicate the effort)
- I utilized KMyMoney categories so it was necessary to relate existing (Quicken) categories with KMyMoney categories. If you pay close attention to import screens and spend time matching KMyMoney Categories with your imported Categories final cleanup will be a lot easier.
- To ensure accuracy I continued to run Quicken in parallel with KMyMoney. My import occurred mid month so I used both until month end.

Although my import wasn't seamless I'm glad I changed to KMyMoney. Features took a little getting used to but speed of operation and functionality far out way anything Quicken offers.

I recently converted from Quicken to KMyMoney, followed similar procedures and I also came to the same conclusions that you did. KMyMoney's speed and functionality are definitely worth the effort to move away from Quicken. I am glad that I made the move.