This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Barclays account connections

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
madhead
Registered Member

Barclays account connections

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:49 pm
Hi,

I am using kmymoney (0.8.8 cvs on kde 3.5.9 on Mandriva 2008.1 ).
Is it possible to connect automatically to barclays online banking in the uk and "suck" down the latest details of my accounts automatically?
Barclays uk support the following formats for export.

MS money 1998 -2002,
quickbooks2005/clearlybookkeeping,
spreadsheet eg excel,
sage line 50 (i.e.ofx)

The online banking section seems to allow for setting up online banking but not sure I really understand what I need to do to get it working. Any help much appreciated. Cool program by the way.

Cheers,
mad

madhead, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
toad
Global Moderator
OS

RE: Barclays account connections

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:15 am
Not that I know of. You can, however, grab online statements and feed them into kmymoney :) Have a look at kmymoney's import function for details.

Debian testing
madhead
Registered Member

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:47 am
Yeah I have done that already but it would have been nice to just start up kmymoney and have this happen automatically :-)

toad wrote:Not that I know of. You can, however, grab online statements and feed them into kmymoney :) Have a look at kmymoney's import function for details.

ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:07 pm
Using OFX direct connect (if the bank supports it) you can download the data directly into KMyMoney.

Since you're using a CVS based version of KMyMoney I would recommend to upgrade to a newer version than 0.8.8 (eg. CVS HEAD). This gives you - among a lot of other new features and improvements - a much more improved online banking part.

madhead wrote:Yeah I have done that already but it would have been nice to just start up kmymoney and have this happen automatically :-)

toad wrote:Not that I know of. You can, however, grab online statements and feed them into kmymoney :) Have a look at kmymoney's import function for details.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
madhead
Registered Member

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:00 pm
I can export to ofx manually (aka sage50) but I how can I find out if they support ofx direct connect? I can't find anything on google or on their sites.
Cheers.

ipwizard wrote:Using OFX direct connect (if the bank supports it) you can download the data directly into KMyMoney.

Since you're using a CVS based version of KMyMoney I would recommend to upgrade to a newer version than 0.8.8 (eg. CVS HEAD). This gives you - among a lot of other new features and improvements - a much more improved online banking part.

madhead wrote:Yeah I have done that already but it would have been nice to just start up kmymoney and have this happen automatically :-)

aga
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:04 am
madhead wrote:I can export to ofx manually (aka sage50) but I how can I find out if they support ofx direct connect? I can't find anything on google or on their sites.
Cheers.

Hi

Look in the manual for the capabilities on OFX (although the manual may be a little out-of-date.

I've been exploring this process. So far as I've been able to find out, Nationwide is the only UK bank to allow direct connect, and they say only from MS Money. Certainly, I've not been able, as yet, to achieve it. However, it might be worthwhile you trying with Barclays.

I've picked up a couple of routines/procedures to download account info and statements which allow import of transactions.

There is/was supposed to be a third way, web-connect, which would directly import from the bank web-site into KMM. I'm not yet sure if this is still available, and neither am I sure if I can access the Nationwide site in the required way.

But, if more UK bank customers start asking, better support may come. Vote with your money.

Aga

aga, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
madhead
Registered Member

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:43 pm
I have tried to install 0.9.2 from tar archive but it now seems that I have lost the OFX import facility completely any ideas what I have done wrong?
Cheers
Mad

aga
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:48 pm
madhead wrote:I have tried to install 0.9.2 from tar archive but it now seems that I have lost the OFX import facility completely any ideas what I have done wrong?
Cheers
Mad

Hi

When you did the ./configure, did you add --enable-ofxbanking --enable-ofxplugin,
ie. ./configure --enable-ofxbanking --enable-ofxplugin

Allan

madhead
Registered Member

Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 am
aga wrote:
madhead wrote:I have tried to install 0.9.2 from tar archive but it now seems that I have lost the OFX import facility completely any ideas what I have done wrong?
Cheers
Mad

Hi

When you did the ./configure, did you add --enable-ofxbanking --enable-ofxplugin,
ie. ./configure --enable-ofxbanking --enable-ofxplugin

Allan

That would be a no I would have thought that would be the defaults. But hey now I know I'll re-compile it and report back thanks.
Also when attempting to run the app i got "kmymoney: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/kde3/kmm_kbanking.so. Do I also need to download this too?

Incidentally I received a reply from barclays stating that they supported all the popular programs and downloading in ofx format but did not specifically state that they did or didn't support OFX direct Online exchange. I will contact their online banking helpline and push them on it. I have done this before and they are quite good at listening; I don't think they get many Linux users so the techs quite enjoy the geeky chat :-)[hr]
checking for OpenSP/macros.h... no
configure: error: cannot find OpenSP headers. Please ensure you have OpenSP installed.
[root@localhost kmymoney2-0.9.2]# urpmi OpenSP
Package OpenSP-1.5.2-4mdv2008.1.i586 is already installed
Packages OpenSP-1.5.2-4mdv2008.1.i586, OpenSP-1.5.2-4mdv2008.1.i586, OpenSP-1.5.2-4mdv2008.1.i586 can not be installed

As you can see above now I have a new problem any suggestions? :-(
I have installed the -devel packages so fixed this problem.

I.e. OpenSP-devel and libofx-devel[hr]
Oh **** now I need libxml something
i,e, libsigc++2.0-devel
2/4: libglibmm2.4-devel
3/4: libxml++2.6_2
4/4: libxml++2.6-devel
try again .....[hr]
Ok building as I post ......

Last edited by madhead on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

madhead
Registered Member

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:00 am
Hi,

Thanks for the help; I now have an updated cvs version ok and ready to rock 'n' roll.

Aga what scripts did you have to connect automatically and in what way do they do this? I.e. do they just simply use a request/response https process using https. If so I might be able to capture the http request using a firefox plugin. That might well be a good way to find out how to connect automatically perhaps?

Cheers,

Mad!

aga
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:28 am
madhead wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the help; I now have an updated cvs version ok and ready to rock 'n' roll.

Aga what scripts did you have to connect automatically and in what way do they do this? I.e. do they just simply use a request/response https process using https. If so I might be able to capture the http request using a firefox plugin. That might well be a good way to find out how to connect automatically perhaps?

Cheers,

Mad!

Hi again

I don't know if you've subscribed to kmymoney2-developer@lists.sourceforge.net as there has been some discussion there lately. Briefly, of the two methods for direct connect with ofx, the kmm one that you, I assume, have now added to ./configure, is mainly focussed on US and German users and is setup accordingly. However, Thomas, the lead developer, has indicated a willingness to modify to allow UK users to add their own bank details. The other method, using aqbanking, expects users to configure manually, but sadly, my efforts so far have all been unsuccessful. Again, though, the developer, Martin, is looking into my problem.

So, for the time being, I'm downloading files then importing into kmm using the KMM ofx plugin.

I've used two different methods for this. One is using python - see https://www.wesabe.com/groups/39-uk-wes ... ad-success . This page is specifically about Nationwide, but it is based on a US bank and shows what needs editing. For the other method - java based, which I prefer, see - http://www.terabytelabs.net/nationwide- ... omment-430 . The reason I prefer it at the moment is that it outputs all its activity, which is very useful for debug purposes.

Hope this helps.

aga

ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:54 pm
aga wrote:Briefly, of the two methods for direct connect with ofx, the kmm one that you, I assume, have now added to ./configure, is mainly focussed on US and German users and is setup accordingly.

It might be a bit US centric, as it draws the list of supported banks from a US site, but certainly not geared towards German users, because OFX simply is not supported by a single German bank to my knowledge. We use HBCI for online banking here, which is a completely different animal.

aga wrote:However, Thomas, the lead developer, has indicated a willingness to modify to allow UK users to add their own bank details. The other method, using aqbanking, expects users to configure manually, but sadly, my efforts so far have all been unsuccessful. Again, though, the developer, Martin, is looking into my problem.

He wants to add a generic approach to allow manual entry of the required parameters. This would not only help UK people, but anybody else as well who has a bank supporting OFX which is not found in the list mentioned above.

ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:54 pm
ipwizard wrote:He wants to add a generic approach to allow manual entry of the required parameters. This would not only help UK people, but anybody else as well who has a bank supporting OFX which is not found in the list mentioned above.

So he did and this part is now available in CVS HEAD for your testing pleasure.

aga
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:49 pm
ipwizard wrote:
ipwizard wrote:He wants to add a generic approach to allow manual entry of the required parameters. This would not only help UK people, but anybody else as well who has a bank supporting OFX which is not found in the list mentioned above.

So he did and this part is now available in CVS HEAD for your testing pleasure.

Well done, him!!!

No snags, apart from operator error. Check, Savings and credit card accounts all nicely imported. That's terrific.

Thanks again.

aga

madhead
Registered Member

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 am
Barclays got back to me and said that they don't currently support it but they have a lot of plans being tossed around by their developers. And they will pass on my requirements/comments. So it seems will just have to wait and see.