This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to create a chart for total value of investments

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mdolnik
Registered Member
I want to be able to have a graph of how my stocks are doing / have been doing.

Right now when I look at the home page my investment account is accurately calculating the total value of all of the holdings I have based off of their current (downloaded) prices.

But when I try to create a chart of this account, it seems graph's value only changes on:
- Dates where I opened KMyMoney and updated the current stock prices.
- Dates where a transaction has occurred (ie: buying or selling a stock)
This leaves a graph that has many many flat sections.

I assumed at first this had to do with the many gaps in the prices that KMyMoney knew about (only knew about the prices on dates where I updated the prices) so I found this forum post that had steps to convert historical prices into a QIF file.

This worked and now KMyMoney has prices for each week on each of my stocks running back 3 years.
I can confirm this by going to Tools > Prices... > Check Show all stored prices

Now that I have the historical prices, the graph does not change.

Is there anyway to have the chart include the historical prices?
mcarpino
Registered Member
OS
Yes, what report/graph are you trying to use? Also, go to Tools > Prices, check the box show all stored prices and verify the historical prices are stored.
mdolnik
Registered Member
Also, go to Tools > Prices, check the box show all stored prices and verify the historical prices are stored.

Yes when I have Check Show all stored prices checked, it shows historical prices of one entry a week per symbol for the last 3 years.

what report/graph are you trying to use?

I am just trying to use a regular line graph on my stocks account to get a chart of the net worth of all of my combined stock holdings.

Also going to the preset "Investment Worth Graph" shows the issue I am having.

It has many horizontal flat lines that represent the stock price being unchanged until I open KmyMoney and Run Tools > Update Stock and Currency Prices... even though Tools > Prices... > Check Show all stored prices has the historical prices for the same date range.
mdolnik
Registered Member
I figured it out, I needed to set Configure > Report > Rows/Columns > Detail to Totals instead of All
atheist
Registered Member
OS
Mdolnik writes : "I figured it out, I needed to set Configure > Report > Rows/Columns > Detail to Totals instead of All"

Can you help me find those details? When I click on Report, I don't see "Rows/Columns".
thanks. A
mdolnik
Registered Member
Can you help me find those details? When I click on Report, I don't see "Rows/Columns".

Sorry for the long delay, I didn't get any notifications for this thread.

The "Rows/Columns" tab is shown in the Report Configuration...

1. Open your Report
2. Click "Configure"
3. Click "Rows/Columns" tab
4. Change "Detail" to "Totals"