This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transfer shares between trading accounts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stephanesp
Registered Member
Hi all,

Having transferred shares from one (now closed) trading account to a new one, I was wondering whether this was possible in Kmymoney. At the moment, I am doing it through "Remove shares" in the old account and "Add shares" in the new one but this leads to incorrect results in capital gains report for instance.

Thanks a lot.

Stephane
mcarpino
Registered Member
OS
Hi Stephane,

By using the Remove/Add feature you are correct that you won't get the reporting results you desire. There is a better way.

KMyMoney handles this with the "Move" feature and it's fairly easy to do.

After you have set up the "New" Investment account go to the "Old" Investment account that contains the shares you wish to transfer. With the "Old" account you will see all the transactions for the account. I'm going to assume here that you have multiple investments for this account and you may not want to transfer all the transactions. This could be because you no longer hold an equity in a company or you're only transferring some of your securities to the "New" account. Let's say you have a common stock Investment in "ABC Co" that you want to transfer. Go to the Filter bar at the top of the ledger and begin typing "ABC Co" from there KMyMoney will provide you with all the transactions for "ABC Co".

As you'll want to transfer all these transactions to the "New" account begin at the top of the list and click the first, top of the ledger transaction which will then be highlighted. Now scroll down to the last, bottom transaction hold down the Shift key and click this transaction and you will highlight all the transactions.

Now the transfer, Right click with your mouse any of these highlighted transactions and you will see "Move transaction to" from there select the "New" account and they are all transferred, with the details of each transaction and you will correctly report capital gains.

Continue to do this with all the Investments you wish to transfer.
stephanesp
Registered Member
Hi mcarpino,

Thanks very much for your answer. Yes, this seems to fix the issue I had with correctly reporting capital gains.
However, I just have one question, apologies if I have missed something. By moving all transactions from the "old" to the "new" account, will I not lose the information that those stocks were bought through the "old" provider and account ?

Thank you once again,

Stephane
mcarpino
Registered Member
OS
Yes, you are correct regarding the information that these investments came from another account (ie "Old") will be lost. What I have done to retain this information is I used the Memo line to define the transfer. I've used the date and "Old" account name. Here's a formatted example, "On November 1, 2018 transferred from "Old" account". I would cut and paste this content in the transferred transaction(s). It's manual entering but it's a way to keep the tickler of where these investments came from when memory fails. :( :o :<
atheist
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the tip, Mcarpino, on how to move transactions to preserve the cost basis. It would be nice when we "added shares" to an account to have fields for "cost" and "date purchased". That way, we could leave the original purchase in its original account, but still be able to get cap gains in the new account. Still, your fix works for me!
gulliveros
Registered Member
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in and say thanks for bringing up this issue. I recently had to transfer some shares between my trading accounts, and I was wondering if there was a better way to do it than the "Remove/Add" feature.
Thanks to the tip provided by the previous commenter, I was able to use the "Move" feature in KMyMoney to correctly transfer the shares and report capital gains.
By the way, have you heard of the prop firm challenge? It's a way to test your trading skills and potentially earn funding from a proprietary trading firm. I've been considering taking on the challenge myself and was wondering if you had any experience with it.
Anyway, thanks again for the helpful info on transferring shares.