This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Set a date format

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kde-deshmukh
Registered Member

Set a date format

Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:32 pm
Running kmymoney 5.0.8.

I want to set the date format to yyyy-mm-dd for entry as well as display.

How do I achieve that?

--
Manjaro KDE. Kernel 4.19.244-1-MANJARO. 64-bit. Plasma 5.24.5. KDE Frameworks 5.94.0. Qt 5.15.4. 8GB RAM and more than 100GB free on the hard disk.
flywire
Registered Member

Re: Set a date format

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:02 pm
Any why isn't the system setting used for both?
disconer
Registered Member

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:40 am
I have the same problem, I want to set the format of the date used for display.

Please forgive my attitude or tone, because this issue (which is date format ambiguity) is a life long pet peeve for me. And, given that this has not been a problem for me until now ... is additional frustration.

Fundamentally, your software has to provide for users to choose their desired format for dates. To my experience, this is traditionally done by software taking direction from the operating system, which has settings for language, keyboard, date, time, etc. (and this is standard for all operating system, as far as I know). If the software maker chooses not to check with the operating system, then they must provide a configuration input for the user to choose.
Further to my problem: I've been using KMM on a Windows XP box prior to this point, version 4.8.0. On this system, the system setting is for mm/dd/yy and KMM is the same. No problem. I presumed that KMM is using this format because I installed it long after I had installed the OS and set the date preference.
Problem: I now install this software, the exact same version, on a Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit OS and find that it is defaulting to dd/mm/yy. I absolutely cannot condone this date format using the separators that are commonly used, '/' - the ambiguity is just INSANE! To my failure: I had not set the date format to my preference prior to installing KMM. I set my date preference and KMM did not update the change inside of itself, while Windows File Explorer updated instantaneously. I closed KMM and reopened, thinking that maybe it only checked when it was starting up. No change. I even rebooted my system - no change.

What else I've done (following support page https://kmymoney.org/support.html):
[*] Combed through the configuration sheets - nothing there.
[*] Searched the User's Manual
[*] UNinstalled the software and then REinstalled the software expecting that at least on setup, it would pole the OS to set the date format. It did not.
[*] Searched the FAQ
[*] Google searched for the solution
[*] Searched the Discussion Forum

On the last item, I found this discussion thread that is very directly on the issue; it is about two months old and now, and no answer or resolution has been posted.

I'm now taking my precious time to make this post as a plea for an answer and solution. Version 4.8.0 is 6 years old and kde-deshmukh
R is having the same issue with 5.0.8 (I'm assuming is the latest) and this is still unaddressed. This is far too long for no resolution. And, I'm having a hard time believing that no one has had this problem before this year (my other searches did reveal others having same problem, but in different contexts/OSes).

In summary:
- Fundamentally, users need to be able to choose their date format.
- There is no way to make this setting manually in KMyMoney, and KMM does not pole the OS for this configuration variable - a deficit of software coding that needs to be filled.

Please, someone, give a response and solution. I don't care if I have to TEXT/HEX edit a config file, I just want this changed/fixed.

Thank you,
disconer
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:48 am
First of all: thanks for your openness and sharing your frustration, which I can understand.

I tried to duplicate the problem (though using the slightly newer version 5.1 from KDE's binary factory on a Win10 box). Checking the ledger, the dates are shown as "DD.MM.YYYY" for me (which matches my locale). Input works with the same format (checked with transaction post date entry). Looking at the regional settings in the Windows Control Panel, I find the date format to be set to "DD.MM.YYYY". Changing that to "YYYY-MM-DD" and restarting KMyMoney switches the display to show dates as "YYYY-MM-DD" and the input format switches as well.

Adding a new format (which is not in the drop down list) via the "Additional settings..." button and selecting it works as expected after a restart of KMyMoney.

For me, that does not show a problem. What am I missing?

p.s. Just found out, that the restart of KMyMoney is not even necessary.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
midge
Registered Member

Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:22 am
The unfortunate thing is that KMyMoney is inconsistent. The date format in ledgers etc is correct for me (DD MM YYYY) but in the reports heading is has the form MM DD.

A other frustrating inconsistency is that whilst you can set the start of financial year date to reflect was is applicable in your country there is no way to set budgets to reflect that financial year. They seem to be restricted to calendar year.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:31 pm
The request for a consistent display of dates has been addressed with this commit. The budget year differing from the calendar year has been left for another time :)

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5