This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Status of Linux Appimages?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Status of Linux Appimages?

Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:13 am
zebulon wrote:
Regarding the woob.so issue: I don't use it and have no knowledge about Python so someone else needs to look into it.

It's one of the dependencies, apparently. If it doesn't give an error for you when you install the AppImage, it must mean the dependency was successfully resolved. I'd like to understand why the procedure does not install that shared object.

Oh, I like to understand that myself, but that AppImage build system based on a tool called craft is a mystery to me.
zebulon wrote:BTW the version that starts up is the new one: 5.1.2-281f69d70. I suppose it is possible to create a binary with unresolved dependencies. It will run until the missing dependency is invoked. The new binary is not saved, it seems.

The version is the latest we have in the git 5.1 branch, so that is current. Regarding the unresolved dependencies it is not the KMyMoney core code that depends on it but rather a python script that is loaded by a KMyMoney plugin. Here's what I get (I don't have that woob python script installed):
Loading "/tmp/.mount_kmymonoaMWci/usr/plugins/kmymoney/woob.so"
Python interpreter found: 3.6.15 (default, Sep 23 2021, 15:41:43) [GCC]
Saved a copy of the embedded :/plugins/woob/kmymoneywoob.py script as "/tmp/kmymoneyZwHULm.py"
Attempt to load the "kmymoneyZwHULm" Python module from "/tmp"
The dependency 'sys' Python module loaded successfully
The 'path' Python variable loaded successfully
"kmymoneyZwHULm" Python module failed to load
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/kmymoneyZwHULm.py", line 9, in <module>
from woob.core import Woob
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'woob'
kf.xmlgui: cannot find .rc file "woob.rc" for component "woob"
Plugins: woob loaded

Comparing my error message with yours, I have the impression that you are missing some libraries that need to be installed on your system as a dependency of woob itself.. Here's what I found out:
thb@thb-nb ~$ find /usr -name libpython3\*.so
/usr/lib64/python3.6/config-3.6m-x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.6m.so
/usr/lib64/libpython3.6m.so
/usr/lib64/libpython3.so
thb@thb-nb ~$ ls -l /usr/lib64/libpython3*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 4. Jan 15:04 /usr/lib64/libpython3.6m.so -> libpython3.6m.so.1.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2809896 4. Jan 15:04 /usr/lib64/libpython3.6m.so.1.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5912 4. Jan 15:04 /usr/lib64/libpython3.so
thb@thb-nb ~$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/libpython3.6m.so.1.0
libpython3_6m1_0-3.6.15-10.15.1.x86_64
thb@thb-nb ~$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/python3.6/config-3.6m-x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.6m.so
python3-devel-3.6.15-10.15.1.x86_64
thb@thb-nb ~$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/libpython3.so
python3-devel-3.6.15-10.15.1.x86_64

So it seems, that you simply need to install that python library from your distro. We won't package it because it is a dependency of woob itself which we don't include in the AppImage either.

Hope that helps. Of course, since I don't know anything about Python, the above may be totally wrong :-)

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
markhm
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm
The appimages for stable and nightly haven't shown any changes since reappearing. The Linux builds have shown many potentially interesting changes during the same period.
Is there still a problem with the appimages? Are appimages due to receive these changes any time soon?
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:42 pm
WHAT? You must be missing something here. The 'No changes' display is probably misguiding you as it is totally useless here and does not reflect the source code changes made to the KMyMoney repository (probably by design, not our fault).

The builds take the current source code state of the 5.1 branch (release) and master branch (nightly) at the time they run and thus include all changes made until then. You can check this yourself by opening the Help/About KMyMoney dialog which shows the version in the form e.g. "Version 5.1.2-281f69d70" where that magic number at the ned is the respective git commit (source code stage which was used to build the AppImage). You can verify that against the current commit history for master and stable.

I hope that sheds some light into the darkness.

markhm
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:05 pm
Thanks for reply.

What confused me is that the changes used to show before the appimages stopped working back last year and haven't shown since they started again. Also confusing was that all the recent appimages were the same size.

I did download the newest appimage and compared the version number in Help and see it is different than the previous one I downloaded.
dbyy
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:30 pm
May I jump on this?

I just checked the binary factory for the latest Linux image for Ubuntu.
The latest stable appimage has a name like "kate_nightly_appimage_centos7".
Does that mean it runs only on Centos or will it work on Linux Mint (Ubuntu) as well?

My latest version I'm running is (5.1.657dbcf2f) .

Just curious, what is the meaning of the different wording in the first part of the image name (Kate, Neochat, Peruse etc.)?

Any clarification is much appreciated.
TIA

Wanna go fishing - come to Ontario, Canada

using Linux Mint v 20.3 (Una) with Cinnamon/Mate.
markhm
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:48 pm
Don't know the derivation of the name but I am running a different Centos KMyMoney appimage in 20.3 Mint Cinnamon without issue.
atheist
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:13 pm
Mark, I am curious, are you able to do online stock price updates with that Centos nightly image?
A
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:15 pm
I'm not certain, but I suspect the centos in the build name may be because the build system is running a centos image. As others have suggested, it should run fine on any recent linux distro. I also believe the "no changes" mentioned on the appimage page is referring to no changes in the build scripts for the application, not no changes to the application being built.

Regarding the woob issue, I believe there were changes make to how KMM invokes woob when it was changed to use the python 3 version of that tool. The dependency was also changed from build time to run time, since woob does not need to be present to build the KMM woob plugin. Woob is somewhat different from the other KMM plugins, as it is a full application, and not just a library. I wonder if the woob plugin could test for the presence of woob and provide a useful error ("You need to explicitly install woob for this plugin to work.") instead of failing as it does.
markhm
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:31 pm
I encountered errors when I first started using the on line price updates a couple years ago. I also needed to update some mutual fund prices that weren't available when I wanted to update prices and I couldn't update prices the next morning dated the day before. So I found it easier to enter all my prices and currencies manually.
I continue to enter manually with the current appimages.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:42 pm
I'm not sure why KMM allows you to enter dates for retrieving prices, since I don't think it ever gets anything except the current price. I wonder if it was part of a design decision that was never fully implemented. One of the developers would have to confirm, but I'll think about filing a bug to either actually retrieve dated prices, or remove those date fields from the UI.
markhm
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:48 pm
When I was new to the program, I wasted a good deal of time trying to download historical prices. When I realized that the program couldn't do that, it greatly decreased the attraction of on line prices for me.
atheist
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:04 pm
Markhm says "I wasted a good deal of time trying to download historical prices."
WELL that explains my never being able to remove some of the flat lines in historical stock prices!! :-)
I don't feel so bad now that I am in good company! :-)
A
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:43 am
dbyy wrote:May I jump on this?

I just checked the binary factory for the latest Linux image for Ubuntu.
The latest stable appimage has a name like "kate_nightly_appimage_centos7".
Does that mean it runs only on Centos or will it work on Linux Mint (Ubuntu) as well?

No, that name is derived from the underlying build system. AppImages are designed to work on any Linux distro.

dbyy wrote:My latest version I'm running is (5.1.657dbcf2f) .

That points back to a change made last Christmas.

dbyy wrote:Just curious, what is the meaning of the different wording in the first part of the image name (Kate, Neochat, Peruse etc.)?

Those are other KDE applications. How did you end up downloading KMyMoney with such a name?

dbyy wrote:Any clarification is much appreciated.
TIA

Hope that helps.

ohbee
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:56 am
Preferring to BUILD latest version, rather than Appimage. I'm stuck in the Documentation which leads me to dead ends and vague solutions. Is there Help anywhere for one who prefers to Build 5.1.2 from source?

I've limited programming experience and been using Kubuntu Linux for over a year, having entered the Linux world through Debian.. then Canonical's Ubuntu. Eager to learn... expand, and program... help...
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:26 am
The best help source to get started with that is to subscribe to the (rather low-volume) KMyMoney developer mailing list. Some more information can also be found on the GitLab wiki of the project.

Building from source varies from distro to distro. Unfortunately, the package names of the dependencies are not the same across the board. Also, there are various ways to build it: on the host system, using a docker container, building dynamically linked or statically linked, etc. Instructions you find therefore may apply or not depending on your specific scenario. And as a surplus, different developers prefer different flavors of the above. But I am sure you will get some guidance on the above mentioned ML.

p.s. It would be cool if you can document your findings and add them to the existing documentation. That way, others will benefit from your contribution.