This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

GPG-encryption in ver. 5.1.1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
astenix
Registered Member
OS

GPG-encryption in ver. 5.1.1

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:11 pm
Hi all,
I have installed KMyMoney ver. 5.1.1 (debian stable 'bullseye').

I was thinking about GPG-encryption of .kmy file and I did a new key in Kleopatra — works as expected.

On docs.kde.org is declared that the keys can be set in KMyMoney on the encryption page of the settings dialog — there should be a drop down list where you can select the key that should be used for encryption and decryption.

But I see no options about GPG-encryption there.

Any suggestions about this, please?
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
This has been moved to the XML plugin settings (Settings/Configure KMyMoney/Plugins/XML Storage).

Hope that helps.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
astenix
Registered Member
OS

Re: GPG-encryption in ver. 5.1.1

Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:17 am
ipwizard wrote:Hope that helps.

Indeed!

Many thanx!
lesturner
Registered Member

Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:02 am
Hi asterisk,
Have you got encryption fully working on Kmymoney 5.1.1 on Debian yet? I tried the latest version for Windows last night and I can’t get it working at all.
Les
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member

Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:23 am
lesturner wrote:I tried the latest version for Windows last night and I can’t get it working at all.
Les

Please provide more detail.
lesturner
Registered Member

Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:33 am
HI Stephen,

I'm using: Windows 11 Home; Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000; KmyMoney Version 5.1.2-1c1718ebc, (from kmymoney-5.1-1301-windows-msvc2019_64-cl.exe).

KMyMoney 5.1.2-1c1718ebc, doesn't recognise my GPG keys. I can't tick the XML Storage configuration box to 'Use GPG Encryption'.

Please note: I have a separate KMyMoney program (5.0.6) on the same Windows computer which does recognise my GPG keys and encrypts properly. (The issue with that program is that it then overwrites the original data file with 0 bytes so I lose all my data).

Les
astenix
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:31 am
lesturner wrote:Have you got encryption fully working on Kmymoney 5.1.1 on Debian yet?

Yes, and it works as expected.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:41 am
The difference is the underlying operating system. I recently learned, that a lib that KMyMoney needs is not maintained by the KDE people under Windows anymore. That could be the cause why it is not working on that OS.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:02 am
ipwizard wrote:I recently learned, that a lib that KMyMoney needs is not maintained by the KDE people under Windows anymore.

Is there an estimated time for the resolution of the problem with the lib? Until GPG Encryption works again, Windows users may want to use VeraCrypt.
astenix
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:28 am
Stephen Leibowitz wrote:VeraCrypt

Btw, I was searching for GPG solution because I was kinda annoyed using VeraCrypt.
lesturner
Registered Member

Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:59 am
Stephen Leibowitz wrote:
ipwizard wrote:I recently learned, that a lib that KMyMoney needs is not maintained by the KDE people under Windows anymore.

Is there an estimated time for the resolution of the problem with the lib? Until GPG Encryption works again, Windows users may want to use VeraCrypt.

For the time being I'm using KMyMoney 4.8.4 (on Windows), which still works beautifully ;)