This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

OFX Import problem after upgrading from 5.0.8 to 5.1.2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
demner
Registered Member
Hi,

I've been using KMyMoney for many years and it's great.

Today, I tried upgrading from 5.0.8 to 5.1.2-83e127485 and I'm now having problems importing OFX files that are importable in 5.0.8

The error I get is simply "Unable to parse file" - I've tried a few options in the dialog but nothing has helped. I also tried master-1435 and got the same error

I don't think it's on my end because I've tried files from 3 different institutions and they all return the same error.

Is it possible to keep 5.1.2 but downgrade ofx to the version in 5.0.8?
Or debug the file format somehow in case that is the problem (I don't have ofxdump)?
Or is there an easy fix somewhere?
Or I guess as a last resort, downgrade the KMM file from 5.1.2 to be usable in 5.0.8 again.

Thanks!

David
markhm
Registered Member
OS
As a temp work-around, can you open your file in 5.0.8 and do the import. Then save the file. Then open it in 5.1.2 and continue to work with it?
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
Which operating do you experience these problems with?

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
demner
Registered Member
markhm wrote:As a temp work-around, can you open your file in 5.0.8 and do the import. Then save the file. Then open it in 5.1.2 and continue to work with it?

I tried that but unfortunately couldn't open the file in 5.0.8 again so could only import one file.
demner
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:Which operating do you experience these problems with?

Sorry! That would help. Windows version (windows 10)
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
On Windows, the OFX import currently is failing for reasons yet to be analyzed. See the corresponding bug tracker entry.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member
Until the OFX import problem is fixed, you might use QIF or CSV importing.
demner
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:On Windows, the OFX import currently is failing for reasons yet to be analyzed. See the corresponding bug tracker entry.

Thank you! Much appreciated
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member
The stable branch has KMyMoney source code for each version from 5.0.5–5.1.2. The stable branch also has Windows binary files for 5.0.5 and 5.0.6, but not newer. The unstable branch has source code and Windows binaries, but only for 5.0 and 5.0.5. Daily generated preview builds (binaries) for Windows are also being generated. But only the most recent version, currently 5.1.3, is available for download.

If Windows binaries for each version were being stored, that could give users additional options. For example, a user that required OFX import would not find 5.1.2 satisfactory. The current preview build for 5.1.3 also has the OFX problem. But at least 5.0.8 had a functioning OFX import facility (according to demner), and perhaps some later versions would also work.
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member
In the past month, three people have posted on the KDE Bugtracking System that they are still having a problem importing OFX transactions into KMM. See OFX import is broken on MS-Windows.

In an earlier post, Hugo said he cannot Direct Connect, but indicated that he can use Web Connect to import OFX/QFX files. See here for a description of these methods.

The KMyMoney Handbook expresses a low opinion of QIF. But if OFX/QFX imports are not working, then consider using QIF as a stopgap. Switching to a new import format (QIF) provides an additional reason to back up the KMM data file. Pay attention to the date range, and do not download transactions that are already in KMM.

If your financial institution does not provide QIF downloads, you could convert an OFX/QFX download to QIF using ImportQIF on Windows. You should turn off Auto Import on the Options tab in ImportQIF. Also, look at the date items in Setup and Options. If there is still a date problem, consider using regular expressions.
wrobelda
KDE Developer
OS
The OFX import issue should now be fixed. Please try this build:
https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/Win ... in64/1467/

KMyMoney developer. macOS/Debian/Windows
demner
Registered Member
Confirmed working - thanks!