This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Displaying reconciled balance

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gordmcfee
Registered Member

Displaying reconciled balance

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:46 pm
Hi folks. I've searched the Help and Googled my head off, but can't find an answer to this question. I have a checking account in which several entries (checks) have not yet been reconciled. I'm trying to find a way, other than using the calculator, to display the reconciled balance. Currently, it only displays the running balance. For example, if the balance is $1000, of which $300 is unreconciled checks, and the rest has been reconciled, I would like to be able to display the balance as the reconciled balance, i.e. $700. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Displaying reconciled balance

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:04 pm
What version are you using, on what platform/distro? For a while now, the program has displayed every reconciliation as a line in the ledger with the date and balance. These are similar to the dividers for "Last week," "Last month," and such, although some of these can be turned off in the ledger configuration. Another option (from memory, I have not actually tried) is to start a reconciliation, which should show the last reconciled balance, and then just cancel it.
gordmcfee
Registered Member

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:35 pm
ostroffjh wrote:What version are you using, on what platform/distro? For a while now, the program has displayed every reconciliation as a line in the ledger with the date and balance. These are similar to the dividers for "Last week," "Last month," and such, although some of these can be turned off in the ledger configuration. Another option (from memory, I have not actually tried) is to start a reconciliation, which should show the last reconciled balance, and then just cancel it.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm using version 5.08 on Linux Mint 20.3. There is a column titled "C" that indicates whether the transaction is cleared, uncleared and reconciled. If you mark it reconciled, the column entry is R. My situation is this: I have a reconciled amount (the opening balance in fact), then five transactions that were entered on their scheduled day, and then a final transaction that was scheduled for today and appeared on the bank site, therefore, I have marked it reconciled. For ease of calculation, let's just assume all the amounts are $100. So there are 7 transactions for a total of $700. The first and the last have been reconciled, the intervening 5 have not. So I would like to be able to see what the reconciled balance is. The balance that shows is $700, whereas the reconciled balance is $200. Some financial apps have either shown both balances or toggled them upon demand. It's no big deal in the example I've quoted above, but would be if the amounts were larger or say $567.98 rather than $100.

If it even showed the total of reconciled entries and the total of unreconciled, that would be fine. But as it is, you have to add up all the unreconciled entries and subtract that total from the overall total.

Sorry if I'm being annoying. I'm even starting to annoy myself. :-)
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:45 pm
5.0.8 is over two years old, and likely before the change I mentioned. If you can't find a more recent version specifically for Mint, you can try an appimage (https://kmymoney.org/appimage.html) which are generated daily. It looks like build has failed for a few days, but the most recent successful build should work for you.

One caution: from your description, it sounds like you mark individual transactions as Reconciled. The lines in the ledger I mentioned depend on marking transactions as Cleared, and then using the Reconciliation process. See https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kmymone ... ncile.html. That is not fully updated for the current version, but should be close enough on the basic description ans usage. (I am still working, if too slowly) on updating the manual.) It is the reconciliation process which records the reconciliation date and amount for the account.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
Your manual usage of the column C by setting single transactions into the reconciled state may be the cause of the problem. Did you read the KMyMoney manual on how reconciliation is meant to work? Using the reconciliation wizard will provide you with that difference.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
gordmcfee
Registered Member

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:57 pm
ipwizard wrote:Your manual usage of the column C by setting single transactions into the reconciled state may be the cause of the problem. Did you read the KMyMoney manual on how reconciliation is meant to work? Using the reconciliation wizard will provide you with that difference.

Thank you. That did it. I was interpreting bank statement in the wizard. I use reconcile in a different way than the program suggests. Since I use the account every day and do online banking, I just reconcile the balances every day and have no need to do a monthly bank statement reconciliation. Thanks for your help.
gordmcfee
Registered Member

Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 pm
gordmcfee wrote:
ipwizard wrote:Your manual usage of the column C by setting single transactions into the reconciled state may be the cause of the problem. Did you read the KMyMoney manual on how reconciliation is meant to work? Using the reconciliation wizard will provide you with that difference.

Thank you. That did it. I was interpreting bank statement in the wizard. I use reconcile in a different way than the program suggests. Since I use the account every day and do online banking, I just reconcile the balances every day and have no need to do a monthly bank statement reconciliation. Thanks for your help.

Final followup. I appreciate everyone's patience. Part of the problem was that I am a moron and didn't read the documentation carefully enough and made stupid assumptions. It turns out that all you need to do to get what I wanted is to mark the transaction cleared once it shows up in online banking. Duuhh.

Thanks again.