This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Need 4 Decimal Digits for Shares as Well as for Price

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
appateritisr
Registered Member
OS
I can't find a place to change the number of significant digits for the number of shares of stock involved in a transaction. I've found the place to set the price to 4 decimal digits. But, I find nothing for number of shares. Every transaction I have involves 4 decimals places of shares. If I enter those digits, when I leave the field, anything beyond 2 digits gets truncated. My transaction values and reports don't match what my brokerage statements say because of it. How do I change the number of significant share digits from 2 to 4?
markhm
Registered Member
OS
Edit the security. This is what you did to get number of decimals for price. The place to do it for shares in the FRACTION option. Set it to 10000 for 4 digits.
appateritisr
Registered Member
OS
markhm wrote:Edit the security. This is what you did to get number of decimals for price. The place to do it for shares in the FRACTION option. Set it to 10000 for 4 digits.

Thanks. That got it. A bit of a pain to do that for each stock instead of having a global default. But, the biggest problem for me at this point is that it looks like that setting restricted what actually got stored in the data base (i.e., it doesn't affect only what's displayed). I changed the fraction to 10000 on one stock just to test, looked at one of my imported transactions that should have had 4 digits of precision, and there were only 2 digits with actual information plus another 2 digits of zeroes in the Shares field. Ugh.

With all the work I've just put in getting these imported accounts looking reasonable, I can't just re-import. Maybe I could do an Add Shares or something on each current holding to bring the numbers up to what they should be.

Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate the response.
markhm
Registered Member
OS
Can't you just go to the ledger for your imported stock transactions and edit the share amounts to the correct 4 digit precision now? That should then save the data correctly and display correctly.

There is another way to fix it directly in the file but it has RISKS.
BACKUP your file.
You would next "save as" a XML version of your file.
You could manually edit the <shares> values in the XML file for entries you want to change by observing format of correct 4 decimal place entries and changing wrong 2 decimal place entries accordingly.
Save the XML file when you finish correcting the <shares>.
Open that file in KMy$. VERIFY, VERIFY, VERIFY your data. If everything is good, save as a kmy file type.
If everything in KMy$ is now what you want, use the new file. If it is wrong, use your BACKUP file.
Ignore all the above instructions if it sounds confusing or you do not feel confident in doing this. If you don't feel up to messing with the internals of your file, DO NOT TRY to do it.
appateritisr
Registered Member
OS
markhm wrote:Can't you just go to the ledger for your imported stock transactions and edit the share amounts to the correct 4 digit precision now? That should then save the data correctly and display correctly.....

The problem is there are thousands of those transactions over decades. Not all of them will require changing (just the reinvested dividends) and mutual fund purchases. But, I'd have to find them, inspect them, and find/enter the actual share numbers. I'll see how adjusting the total shares works.
markhm
Registered Member
OS
Since KMy$ lacks the ability to track share lots, the easiest solution is probably just to make an adjusting entry with a note that it is to correct number of shares.