This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Incorrect sum of expense amount in split transaction

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
taryco
Registered Member
OS
I have a recurring transaction (paycheck) with both income and expense categories. I needed to change the amount of one of the expense categories and I now find that it does not sum the category amounts as expected (the expense amount is added to the sum rather than subtracted).

When I manually create a new Deposit transaction and enter the income categories in the "Split transaction" window, the "Sum of splits" accurately reflects the sum of those categories. However, when I add an expense category, the amount is always positive (using the '-' symbol is ineffective) and the "Sum of splits" increases by this amount instead of decreasing.

I am using the portable 64-bit KMyMoney (from https://kmymoney.org/snapshots.php) (version: 5.1.2; git commit: ea59734). I also observe the same behavior with git commit be30495a4. I recently (April 2022) switched from KMyMoney version 4.8.4. This might be the first time I have had a need to create/modify a transaction with both income and expense categories.
markhm
Registered Member
OS
I seem to recall that once you have entered an amount in a split transaction, the program will not let you enter a minus sign in front of the amount to change it. But if you delete the amount, you can enter a minus sign followed by the amount (ie: a negative amount) and the program will accept it.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
I just tried to duplicate that problem using kmymoney-5.1-125-linux-64-gcc.AppImage which contains version 5.1.2-ea597343e (the same as the original poster) and cannot make it fail. It accepts a minus sign without problems. Which locale are you using? Do you enter the minus sign from the numeric keypad or the alpha keyboard?

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
markhm
Registered Member
OS
When I found issues, I was using numeric keypad on a desktop keyboard.
taryco
Registered Member
OS
markhm wrote:I seem to recall that once you have entered an amount in a split transaction, the program will not let you enter a minus sign in front of the amount to change it. But if you delete the amount, you can enter a minus sign followed by the amount (ie: a negative amount) and the program will accept it.

I don't see a difference if I delete the line item and re-create it or edit it directly; the negative sign appears until I hit Enter. I also see this with a brand-new transaction.

ipwizard wrote:I just tried to duplicate that problem using kmymoney-5.1-125-linux-64-gcc.AppImage which contains version 5.1.2-ea597343e (the same as the original poster) and cannot make it fail. It accepts a minus sign without problems. Which locale are you using? Do you enter the minus sign from the numeric keypad or the alpha keyboard?

I wasn't able to find anything specifically marked "locale", but the primary language is "US English".
I am using a keyboard without a ten-key number pad, so the '-' comes from the same key as "_". I also tried a keyboard with a ten-key number pad, but no difference in outcome.

I also tried using the "+-" button in the pop-up calculator available in each "Amount" field. Like before, the minus sign appears in the calculator's running total field, but as soon as I hit Enter, the minus sign disappears.
taryco
Registered Member
OS
ipwizard wrote:I just tried to duplicate that problem using kmymoney-5.1-125-linux-64-gcc.AppImage which contains version 5.1.2-ea597343e (the same as the original poster) and cannot make it fail. It accepts a minus sign without problems. Which locale are you using? Do you enter the minus sign from the numeric keypad or the alpha keyboard?

I spun up a Ubuntu 22.04 VM and insalled the same AppImage that you mentioned. In this environment, I am able to see all the negative signs in each expense line item and I can successfully modify the desired line item.

So possibly this is just an issue with the Windows binary?