This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

cannot open my *.kmy file !!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alansan
Registered Member

cannot open my *.kmy file !!

Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:54 pm
Hi to all...

I 'm using kmymoney 5.0.8 build3 on ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
my *kmy file is gpg encrypted, so when I run kmymoney, it usually ask me to enter the key to open the file..
but from today, when I run kmymoney, I get this error message:

"Cannot read the file: /media/***/***/KMYMONEY/***.kmy /build/kmymoney-2XFvAS/kmymoney-5.0.8/kmymoney/plugins/xml/xmlstorage.cpp:150"

can you help me quick because I have to use kmymoney everyday !!
thanks

alansan
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
From inspecting the old source-code (5.0.8 was released over 2.5 years ago) I expect something to be wrong with the GPG installation/integration. Here's how you can access the data:

• Make sure to have a backup of your file!!
  • Run gpg -d xxx.kmy > xxx.xml
    This will decrypt your data into xxx.xml
  • Open the xxx.xml using KMyMoney
  • When you save the file, it will do so encrypted again. To avoid this, you have to use File/Save as and deselect the encryption.
Investigate, why KMyMoney cannot open the encrypted file. Start it from a console and watch what it logs in the console windows. Does that provide any hint?

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
alansan
Registered Member

Re: cannot open my *.kmy file !!

Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:34 pm
ipwizard wrote:From inspecting the old source-code (5.0.8 was released over 2.5 years ago) I expect something to be wrong with the GPG installation/integration. Here's how you can access the data:

• Make sure to have a backup of your file!!
  • Run gpg -d xxx.kmy > xxx.xml
    This will decrypt your data into xxx.xml
  • Open the xxx.xml using KMyMoney
  • When you save the file, it will do so encrypted again. To avoid this, you have to use File/Save as and deselect the encryption.
Investigate, why KMyMoney cannot open the encrypted file. Start it from a console and watch what it logs in the console windows. Does that provide any hint?

Solved!!
I checked my .gnupg folder, inpired to compare with it's backup : a folder "private-keys-v1.d" was missing ?!
it is restored and kmymoney is opening my file as before !!