This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Going insane with transfers. I've obviously setup something?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kaiso
Registered Member
When i try to transfer money FROM a checking account INTO a Money Market account, the transfer records as deposit so gives incorrect numbers. e.g. When I import the OFX transaction from my bank. I get two linked transaction in the register. One shows the amount as a deposit, the other as a payment, so the balance stays the same as it was? If I delete either, both are deleted. How do I fill out the fields to show the money leaving the checking account, and being transferred into the MM account? this drive me insane.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
What (KMyMoney) type of account is your money market account? You can find that piece in Account/Edit account in the Opening information section of the dialog when your money market account is selected. Also, as a minor detail, which version of KMyMoney are you using and what is your operating system environment?

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
kaiso
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:What (KMyMoney) type of account is your money market account? You can find that piece in Account/Edit account in the Opening information section of the dialog when your money market account is selected. Also, as a minor detail, which version of KMyMoney are you using and what is your operating system environment?

Thanks for the response.
Type is Asset.
I'm using Ver 5.0.6
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
When you enter the transfer in your checkings account, make sure the Combobox on the left of the payee field shows "Pay to" and not "From". If it is not "Pay to" change it. That should do the trick. Another possibility is to enter the transaction in the money market account. Since it creates a deposit by default (as it seems) this should end up as a payment in the checkings account. A third option may be to enter a negative amount when entering the transaction in the checkings account.

BTW: no word about your operating system environment. Anyway, KMyMoney 5.0.6 is rather old, nevertheless it should work for what you are trying to achieve.

kaiso
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:When you enter the transfer in your checkings account, make sure the Combobox on the left of the payee field shows "Pay to" and not "From". If it is not "Pay to" change it. That should do the trick. Another possibility is to enter the transaction in the money market account. Since it creates a deposit by default (as it seems) this should end up as a payment in the checkings account. A third option may be to enter a negative amount when entering the transaction in the checkings account.

BTW: no word about your operating system environment. Anyway, KMyMoney 5.0.6 is rather old, nevertheless it should work for what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks for the info. I'm on Win 11 on my desktop machine and Win 10 on my laptop.

5.0.6 is the latest Windows 64 version of KMyMoney that I can find? Is there a newer version? Perhaps a download link?
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
There are two locations where Windows binaries can be found
  • Cross compiled versions (32 and 64 bit) which require to unzip from a non-Windows file format which includes the executable (instructions how to do that are included at the top of the page) and
  • Version build using Microsoft compilers (does not include all online banking features) where the file ending in 64-cl.exe includes a regular windows installer
The former is maintained by one of the KMyMoney developers and the latter is build on the KDE build infrastructure on a daily basis. The page provides the last successfully built stable version which includes the latest fixes on top of the last released version.

kaiso
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:There are two locations where Windows binaries can be found
  • Cross compiled versions (32 and 64 bit) which require to unzip from a non-Windows file format which includes the executable (instructions how to do that are included at the top of the page) and
  • Version build using Microsoft compilers (does not include all online banking features) where the file ending in 64-cl.exe includes a regular windows installer
The former is maintained by one of the KMyMoney developers and the latter is build on the KDE build infrastructure on a daily basis. The page provides the last successfully built stable version which includes the latest fixes on top of the last released version.

Regarding the first link, pardon my ignorance, but I'm unsure which archive I would need to download? I assume the "portable package", but I was under the impression that "portable" was for USB drive installs to move from machine to machine?

I'd also like to thank you all for your efforts in creating this software. I was a Quicken user since 1998, but with each release the program's requirements and demands became increasingly insidious. I was determined to abandon it, and was so pleaded when I found KMM in 2020. Thanks.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
kaiso wrote:Regarding the first link, pardon my ignorance, but I'm unsure which archive I would need to download? I assume the "portable package", but I was under the impression that "portable" was for USB drive installs to move from machine to machine?

Yes, but the portable version for mobile drives also works for immobile ones. ;)