This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"Unknown security 'EUR'" when adding new investment

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
matthiaskmm
Registered Member
Hello,

when adding a new investemnt I get the following error:
Unknown security 'EUR' /var/tmp/portage/app-office/kmymoney-5.1.3/work/kmymoney-5.1.3/kmymoney/mymoney/storage/mymoneystoragemgr.cpp:1379

Any ideas? This problem does not occur with a new KMyMoney file, so I guess there's something wrong with my file... the consisteny check doesn't return any errors, however.

Thanks in advance
Matthias
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
I can't think why it would be looking for EUR as a security, rather than a currency. Do you have EUR set up as a currency?
At what stage in the process do you get this error?
And, while it shouldn't matter, what are your USE flags for KMyMoney (assuming I am correct that you are on Gentoo.) If you are not on Gentoo, what OS/distro are you using?
matthiaskmm
Registered Member
Hello,
thank you for your reply.

EUR is my "base currency". I don't think that I have ever changed anything concerning currencies...
You're right, I'm using Gentoo:
Code: Select all
[ebuild   R    ] app-office/kmymoney-5.1.3:5::gentoo  USE="calendar handbook holidays -activities -addressbook -debug -hbci -test" 0 KiB

If you think that this is Gentoo related I'll gladly try another distro (KDE neon?).

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open "Investments"
2. Double click on an equity, "Investment detail wizard" opens
3. "Type of investment: Stock"
4. Enter "trading symbol" and "full name", "Trading Currency: EUR" (as suggested)
5. Online source doesn't matter, click on finish
6. Error...
I can provide snapshots, but at the moment I'm struggling with finding an image hoster...

Matthias
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
First, the problem is not likely to be Gentoo specific, so there's lots more we can work on before switching distros. (Some of these questions may not actually matter, but I'm trying to find anything that might give us a hint.)
Does the problem happen when adding a new security, editing an existing one, or both? Are you editing the security from the Securities or Equities tab of the Investments View?
When you edit a security, do all fields look correct?
If you invoke the menu Tools/Prices, does EUR appear at all in the Commodities column?
To confirm, consistency check does not show any issues.
To confirm, if you create a new data file, you can create and edit securities without this error.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
I just thought of something else you can try. Save your file as an anonymous xml file (https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kmymone ... ymous.html) and see if the problem shows up when you open that file in KMyMoney. The anonymous file changes all account (and other) names (such as A000001) and randomizes all transaction amounts. If that file still shows the problem, you can send a copy to the developers mailing list (as stated in that link) or I can PM you my personal email for it.
matthiaskmm
Registered Member
Does the problem happen when adding a new security, editing an existing one, or both?

The problem occurs when adding a new "Investment". I can edit investments without problems.
Are you editing the security from the Securities or Equities tab of the Investments View?

It works in both tabs.
When you edit a security, do all fields look correct?

Everything looks correct.
If you invoke the menu Tools/Prices, does EUR appear at all in the Commodities column?

No, EUR does *not* appear in the Commodities column. Only in the Currency column.
To confirm, consistency check does not show any issues.

Code: Select all
Finished: data is consistent.

To confirm, if you create a new data file, you can create and edit securities without this error.

With a new data file, this error does not occur. My file dates back to 2014.

I'll look into the anonymous xml file... I'd rather solve this problem without it, as the data is quite important to me ;).
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
When you say your data is important, are you talking about not wanting to lose it totally or about not wanting to show it to anyone else? Creating an anonymous file does not do anything to your data. It creates a new file, with your personal data changed or randomized. Your original data file remains untouched. The point of doing this is that the structure of the anonymous file remains the same, while the names and amounts are altered, so it sometimes allows the developers to find a problem. If the problem is found, the developers can usually give you a way to fix it in your real data file.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
matthiaskmm wrote:This problem does not occur with a new KMyMoney file, so I guess there's something wrong with my file

Yes, this statement eliminates Gentoo as the cause and leaves your data file as a source for the problem. I just don't have an idea what to look for right now.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
matthiaskmm
Registered Member
The error still exists when I follow the steps described above, however I've found a workaround:

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open "Investments"
2. Double click on an equity, "Investment detail wizard" opens
2. Select a "leaf" account ("Select Account: ..."), then right click in the empty space and select "New investment ..."
3. "Type of investment: Stock"
4. Enter "trading symbol" and "full name", "Trading Currency: EUR" (as suggested)
5. Online source doesn't matter, click on finish
6. Error...
6. No error

Did I do something wrong and is this expected behaviour? I could imagine that the error did not occur in a new/pristine KMyMoney file because the account structure was very simple in my tests... I'll try to check this...

Thanks for your time and patience!