This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

opening balance amount incorrect

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
randomusername
Registered Member

opening balance amount incorrect

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:37 am
Hi all.

I am using kmymoney version 5.1.2 on Linux.

I have a savings account, and set the opening balance as $9227.69.
In the ledger, in the deposit column is shown $9227.69, and in the balance column is shown $16060.92. Where did $16060.92 come from? This incorrect balance amount is causing the balances of every transaction to also be incorrect.

How can I change the opening balance to the correct amount? When I select the opening balance line and click edit, the amount in the 'amount' field is $9227.69. I do note that all my deposits and withdrawals cause the actual account balance to change from $9227.69 (correct opening balance) to 16124.78, which is close to the incorrectly shown opening balance of $16060.92.

EDIT: And last time I was in kmymoney and entering transactions, the opening balance was correctly shown as $9227.69 and all transaction entered showed correct changes from the opening balance. Today I opened up the app and the opening balance is now different.

Thanks in advance.
randomusername
Registered Member

Re: opening balance amount incorrect

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 am
Ok, I've found the problem. It was because I changed the date sort to show newest transactions at the top of the screen instead of at the bottom. Sorting the date like this completely wrecks the balance shown. This is clearly a bug. Changing the date sort back to opening balance/oldest transaction at the top of the screen fixes the problem.

See my thread about date sort here:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=176070
markhm
Registered Member
OS

Re: opening balance amount incorrect

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:56 am
Not really a bug. KMy$ calculates balances "on the fly" so the sort order does determine the balances.
The balance represents a running total for the amounts displayed in the order they are displayed.
The balance is calculated. it is not a value stored in the file.