This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Will many imports affect the performance of KMyMoney ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jehoshua
Registered Member
OS
I have been doing lots of importing of .QIF files from Microsoft Money, and there are still many to do. Just wondering about the performance aspect of KMyMoney, and also if there is a transaction, split or other types of limits ? The current .KMY file is 806.3 Kb, and 9.4 Mb when uncompressed.

The File information is as follows:

@ File Information — KMyMoney

Created on 2007-11-06
Last modified on 2022-10-09
Base currency AUD
Payees 1030
Institutions 13
Accounts/Categories 759

Type Total

Checking 20
Savings 1
Cash 4
Credit Card 4
Liability 7
Income 113
Expense 608
Equity 2

Transactions 12960
Splits 35586
schedules 8
Prices 49

I assume when KMM is open it has the XML data in memory, and with 8 Gb of RAM, .. 9.4 Mb is minor. The laptop has 4 processors; well so they say, but it's not great on performance as is. I need to import all of the remaining .QIF data, then reconcile everything, and then look at closing most of the accounts. But my understanding is that they are then simply hidden, out of view. If I archive off any data, there are corresponding transactions (double-entry ledger scenario with KMM).

Currently running Kubuntu 22.04, Plasma 5.24.4, Frameworks 5.92.0, Qt 5.15.3, kernel 5.15.0-46-generic (64-bit), GeForce 840M Graphics
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
This question has been asked many times, and the general conclusion is that performance may decrease slightly with more data, but always remains acceptable. My own data file, going back to mid 2009 is 19M uncompressed, with 934 accounts (almost half closed,) 337 payees, over 26K transactions and 59K splits, and performance is still fine, both on my desktop and also on my under-powered laptop.

There are open wishlist items related to being able to archive data, but there are issues with doing so. If you remove transactions prior to some date, as long as you adjust all opening balances to be correct as of that date, then account balances and reconciliations will be OK. However, removing investment transactions can affect security balances, as well as net worth, capital gains, and related calculations.
jehoshua
Registered Member
OS
ostroffjh wrote:This question has been asked many times, and the general conclusion is that performance may decrease slightly with more data, but always remains acceptable. My own data file, going back to mid 2009 is 19M uncompressed, with 934 accounts (almost half closed,) 337 payees, over 26K transactions and 59K splits, and performance is still fine, both on my desktop and also on my under-powered laptop.

Thanks, it's helpful to know that another (under-powered) laptop with way more transactions/accounts, etc, is still running okay, and no performance issues.

ostroffjh wrote:There are open wishlist items related to being able to archive data, but there are issues with doing so. If you remove transactions prior to some date, as long as you adjust all opening balances to be correct as of that date, then account balances and reconciliations will be OK. However, removing investment transactions can affect security balances, as well as net worth, capital gains, and related calculations.

Yes, how can it be done to suit most users ? With the KMM financial system being double entry there are always the opposite transactions to consider. If two accounts are closed/archived and none of the transactions pointed to current accounts, it is not a problem, as it is all in isolation. But it is the inter relationship of transactions that would be the big challenge in being able to archive. Thanks

Currently running Kubuntu 22.04, Plasma 5.24.4, Frameworks 5.92.0, Qt 5.15.3, kernel 5.15.0-46-generic (64-bit), GeForce 840M Graphics