This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMyMoney hangs when inputting data to certain suppliers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
karls
Registered Member
When inputting Data KMyMoney hangs on some suppliers.
In the field "PayTo" I select say supplier "win2day" and press "Enter". A box opens with earlier bookings. I select one and thats it. The old text and amount are not filled in the input fields and the program hangs.
When I restart and try another supplier, it works. On a third it hangs again :-((
Last time I tried in mid July, It worked.
Any ideas what to do?
TIA, Karl

I use KMyMoney 5.0.8 and the Appimage 5.1.272 on Linux Mint 20.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
When it does hang, is it always with the same Payee, or has it hung with different Payees? Does anything look odd or wrong when you try to edit that payee? One possible workaround (in case we can't find the source of the hang) is to create a new payee, then delete the bad one, and tell KMM to assign all transactions to the new payee. Also, how long have you waited before concluding it is hung? Does a performance monitor (or even top) show lots of CPU activity or not?

One thing to try is a more recent version. 5.1.3 is available, although Mint may not have it packaged yet. 5.0.8 is ancient and unsupported. However, the appimage you mention should be current - can you confirm the version it says with Help/About KMyMoney? Also, does the Consistency Check report any problems?

It might also help to run KMyMoney under a debugger and get a backtrace when it is hung. However, I don't know if that backtrace will be helpful if you aren't running a version of KMM with full debug information, and I don't know of any appimage which includes that stuff.
karls
Registered Member
ostroffjh wrote:When it does hang, is it always with the same Payee, or has it hung with different Payees? Does anything look odd or wrong when you try to edit that payee? One possible workaround (in case we can't find the source of the hang) is to create a new payee, then delete the bad one, and tell KMM to assign all transactions to the new payee. Also, how long have you waited before concluding it is hung? Does a performance monitor (or even top) show lots of CPU activity or not?

One thing to try is a more recent version. 5.1.3 is available, although Mint may not have it packaged yet. 5.0.8 is ancient and unsupported. However, the appimage you mention should be current - can you confirm the version it says with Help/About KMyMoney? Also, does the Consistency Check report any problems?

It might also help to run KMyMoney under a debugger and get a backtrace when it is hung. However, I don't know if that backtrace will be helpful if you aren't running a version of KMM with full debug information, and I don't know of any appimage which includes that stuff.

Good news first: It runs again! Thank You.

Just for clarity: It hung on different Payees, but not all! Nothing wrong when editing the payee. My fault was not waiting long enough - after about 60 seconds (usually it takes about 1 sec) it started working and now everything is as fast as ever.
I have tried with 5.0.8 and 5.1.3 - it was the same behaviour.

Now everything seems to be OK again - thank you very much!
Karl

P.S.: How do I mark my post as resolved?
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
I'm not certain. I would try to edit the original post and add "[Solved]" to the subject, but I don't know if that will change only the subject of that post or of the entire thread.