This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to Setup a SQL DB backend for KMyMoney?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rldean
Registered Member
Is there a proper procedure (or documentation) to follow for setting up a SQL Database?

Can I use MSSQL Express, MySQL, or any other flavors?

I found "Chapter 23 - Database", in the User Manuel, but this seems dated.

I'm using Windows 10 at this time. I have experience with SQL and JavaScript development.

Thank you.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
The manual is indeed dated, (updating it has been on my list for quire a while,) but I don't think there have been significant changes in the area of sql usage. I've only ever used sql for testing, and it's been years since even that, so I'd have to review the manual myself. From distant memory, I have vague recollection of having to play with permissions, but I'm pretty sure I was able to get Postgresql, MariaDB, and sqlite to work.
One thing to remember, although the data is stored in the sql database, it is read and written the same as the XML/KMY file would be. The application does not update the database in "real time" but only when you do a File/Save.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
I am pretty sure that MSSQL is not among the supported DB systems. Everything else has been provided by ostroffjh already.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
rldean
Registered Member
Thank you both. Over the last 20 years, I've used Microsoft Money, and the locally installed version of YNAB. Probably other formats, too.

Anyway, moving forward in my life, I want it all in SQL. Hoping to standardize the format.

I'll try out the article. Fingers crossed. I figured I would try MySQL.