This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Import from Microsoft Money -- possible?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rldean
Registered Member
Has anybody ever attempted to convert or import their old Microsoft Money file into KMyMoney?

If you have, I'm curious to know how much pain you endured.

Just curious.
jehoshua
Registered Member
OS
How much pain, ..hmm, after several years I'm still trying to "line up" the Microsoft Money data with KMyMoney data. Now I've even gone to the extreme by installing a VM on Kubuntu, add Windows 8.1 as the guest, install MS Money, open the old file/s, and then export. Then use Beyond compare to try and 'line up' the data, so I can quickly (or not so quickly) reconcile the data.

But all the main accounts are of course reconciled, it's just a lot of old ones to do still.

Hope I answered your question. yes, it IS possible, no worries. Export the QIF from MS Money as LOOSE, and then import in KMyMoney. But watch the dates; I have a minor issue now.

Currently running Kubuntu 22.04, Plasma 5.24.4, Frameworks 5.92.0, Qt 5.15.3, kernel 5.15.0-46-generic (64-bit), GeForce 840M Graphics
spondex
Registered Member
Coming from MS Money 99 V2000 under Windows XP, my experience is that the QIF export from Money is ****. I failed in trying to import that in KMM. Others also struggle with the date format as I saw in some threads.

A usable workaround is first to generate a report in Money that contains data to be converted, export that into a CSV/XLS file, check that output with LO, and import the result as CSV in KMM.