This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

connecting KMyMoney to Databases grayed out

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rldean
Registered Member
In many places, the SQL Server configuration is missing. Apologies, I don't have a way to include a screenshot.

I'm running KMyMoney Version 5.1.3-261c598d3 on Windows 10.

If I go to File >> Save As >> choose SQL as the storage type

On this window, there's only one Database Type "SQLCipher Version 3 (encrypted SQLite)". Also, Database Name, Host Name, and Username are grayed out. The Help page goes to a dead link, too.

If I go to Tools >> Generate Database SQL

Again, there is only 1 Database Type listed, and you can't configure the Database Name, Host Name, or Username.

Am I missing something?

I went to the Qt website, and I found this section: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/sql-driver.html

Do I have to compile these drivers myself? I don't know how to do that for KyMyMoney.
toitoinebzh
Registered Member
Hi rldean,

Depending on the storage type, some field are not necessary.

For the "SQLCipher Version 3 (encrypted SQLite)" storage type, only a filename is necessary (data stored in a file).
For a MySQL storage type, you will need a Database Name, a Host Name, and an Username (data stored on a server).

You probably do not have the MySQL storage type because you are running windows, maybe someone else could confirm this ?

More information here https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kmymone ... abase.html

You are right about the dead link, this should be fixed, I have the same issue
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
toitoinebzh wrote:You probably do not have the MySQL storage type because you are running windows, maybe someone else could confirm this ?

That is right. Only the Qt SQLite and its cipher variant are packaged. I don't know why MySQL and PostgreSQL are missing on Windows. Check the <your-install-path>\KMyMoney\bin\sqldrivers directory for them.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
rldean
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:That is right. Only the Qt SQLite and its cipher variant are packaged. I don't know why MySQL and PostgreSQL are missing on Windows. Check the <your-install-path>\KMyMoney\bin\sqldrivers directory for them.

I can see 3 *.dll files:

qsqlcipher.dll
qsqlite.dll
dsqlite3.dll
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
Yes, those are the ones need for SQLite and SQLCipher support. The ones for other database systems are not present.

rldean
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:Yes, those are the ones need for SQLite and SQLCipher support. The ones for other database systems are not present.

If the answer is that I need to use a Linux distro, that is fine, but it would be awesome to use this feature on Windows. Can I report these missing drivers as a bug?

Can I install Ubuntu (or another flavor), and copy the drivers from there?

OR, can I obtain the drivers from somewhere and put them in that folder?
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
rldean wrote:If the answer is that I need to use a Linux distro, that is fine, but it would be awesome to use this feature on Windows. Can I report these missing drivers as a bug?

You can do so, but it's not something the KMyMoney developers are working on as it is controlled by the KDE on Windows project.

rldean wrote:Can I install Ubuntu (or another flavor), and copy the drivers from there?

That won't work. You cannot use Linux shared objects as Windows DLLs.

rldean wrote:OR, can I obtain the drivers from somewhere and put them in that folder?

You can give that a try, but I don't know if more than those DLLs is needed and if they need to be around during build of KMyMoney. So your mileage may vary.