This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Creating Chase Credit Card Account

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cbgbz
Registered Member

Creating Chase Credit Card Account

Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:21 am
I'm having trouble figuring this out. I believe i need to add a new institution, Chase in this case. I have the address and phone from my credit card statements. How do I get the routing number? What is the BIC and where do I find it?
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
What exactly is your problem? What are you trying to do? If you are just trying to add an account, then all that other information (account numbers, institution details) is actually irrelevant. It is also not necessary for doing import of OFX files downloaded from Chase. Online mapping of Chase credit card accounts is no longer possible (based on my personal experience and some other web posts) because Chase has simply eliminated that option - leaving only to download OFX files. Just add the credit card account. Assigning it to an institution is simply a matter of how compulsive you are about how you organize your accounts in KMM. I do have Chase as an institution, just to group the Chase credit cards and auto loans (both paid off now) accounts for my me and wife. I don't have any numbers entered for the Chase institution.
Let us know if you have any more specific questions, or run into any problems.
For some specific info - as far as I know, routing numbers only apply to checking accounts. I'm really not familiar with BIC numbers - perhaps they are more used by non US financial institutions. In any case, they are not actually necessary to create and use a credit card account within KMM.
cbgbz
Registered Member
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. I too tired to start a new project now.

I'd like to be able to download the credit card transactions. Is that possible with OFX downloads?

C.
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member
These instructions are for account holders in the US.

Sign in to your Chase account at chase.com. The Accounts tab should show your Credit cards. Click on “CREDIT CARD (...nnnn),” which is in blue. The nnnn is the last four digits of you account #.

You should see an overlapping window. In the “Account activity” section you should see a downward pointing arrow with the tip touching a horizontal line. The color is blue. Click on it. You should then see a “Download account activity” window that also says “Direct Download.” The “File type” section is where you specify the download format. If you want OFX, choose QFX. The Activity section gives you options for which transactions to download. Then click Download.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
ostroffjh wrote:I'm really not familiar with BIC numbers - perhaps they are more used by non US financial institutions. In any case, they are not actually necessary to create and use a credit card account within KMM.

BIC is an unique identifier for business institutions and most often used in inter-banking exchange, not so much on the consumer side. Most likely it will be necessary on the consumer side when one wants to transfer money between accounts in different countries (that is when I used it last). Other than in direct online transaction creation (in KMyMoney currently only possible using the KBanking plugin) it is only used for documentation purposes within KMyMoney and can be left empty.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
cbgbz
Registered Member
Thanks again everyone.
I would like to download my credit card transactions from within KMM. Maybe that's not possible,

Stephen, once I have downloaded the OFX/QFX transactions, do I then import them to KMM? Sorry if it seems like a dump question.
Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member
Yes.

File > Import > OFX
cbgbz
Registered Member
OK. I've got the transactions imported and categorized.

I'd like to sort the ledger by Payee to check recurring payments. I've experimented and checked online, but can't seem to find anything that works.

So how do I do this?
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
Using the stable version (5.1.x) one can right click on the column headers of the ledger and select the sort order. This will modify the sorting of the ledger for the account shown. A general settings option can be found in Settings/Ledger/Sorting. Note: double clicking an entry reverses the sort direction. Hope that helps.

ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
cbgbz wrote:Thanks again everyone.
I would like to download my credit card transactions from within KMM. Maybe that's not possible,

Stephen, once I have downloaded the OFX/QFX transactions, do I then import them to KMM? Sorry if it seems like a dump question.

If you connect the filetypes OFX and QFX with the KMyMoney executable in your browser then you can directly access the import from your browser and there's no need to first save the file manually. We call this feature WebConnect.

Stephen Leibowitz
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:We call this feature WebConnect.

That link also discusses KMM’s Direct Connect. It matches up with what
cbgbz wrote:I would like to download my credit card transactions from within KMM. Maybe that's not possible,

Chase supposedly supports that. Here are two quotes from chase.com:
From the Download page, you can also access the Desktop apps page to connect to financial management software like Quicken® and QuickBooks® and to let it access your Chase accounts. After you choose the Financial Software Access link, then "Desktop apps," go to "Set it up" to connect the software to your Chase accounts.

To activate financial management software (like Quicken® and QuickBooks®) and let them access your Chase accounts, go to the person icon in the top right corner and choose "Profile and settings." Then, from the left side menu, choose "AccountSafeSM" and "Desktop apps." Choose "Continue" and "Set it up" to connect the software.

But I am unable to find the links mentioned in the previous two quotes. Perhaps cbgbz will have better luck. cbgbz might need to chat with Chase about it.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
In contrast to that we saw the following message on the developer mailing list in early October of this year:
My Chase credit card no longer works with Direct Connect (ofx in the US).

I found the following link that explained why it stopped working this week:

https://www.banktivity.com/support/arti ... -6th-2022/

It might be different for checking accounts, but since I am too far away from Chase I can't tell. And just in case someone here comes up with the question if and when KMyMoney can support the Open Banking API: this has also been discussed in length on the mailing list and is not feasible.