This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kmymoney usability report

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gaetandc
Registered Member

Kmymoney usability report

Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:05 pm
Dear Kmymoney team,

some months ago, I switched from gnucash to Kmymoney, mainly due to (apparent) bugs in webKitGTK, and because I was looking for a more clean layout.
Transition between software is never easy, but honestly, the importing function of Kmymoney is working nice (+1). Anyway, I had to limit myself to 6 months of archives.

The first feeling was very positive, and I used KMyMoney for +/- 6 months for my personal accounting. I noted in the meanwhile some points that could be improved. Please don't take this point as a big negative list... As you know, a lot of things are OK, then it seems normal, and so it get unsaid...

Positive points:
- Scheduled transactions are very useful. I used them to record the debts / receivables, and to have as much transactions as possible created automatically.

- Grouped modifications of account / category are very usefull! ("Move transaction to..",

Some points that could maybe be imporved:
- Entry of data: The decisive advantage of GNUCash (no advertisment) is the ability to add / modify the values in a table form. It is even possible to do most of the work without a mouse !!

- it could be possible to modify a transaction in Category view... This is quite frustrating to have a list of items, and to switch to the bank account for every change.

- the "payees" view is quite useless because all the transactions are considered twice (debit and credit), in such a way the total is always 0. I cannot easy see the total amount I paid / received to / from this payee.

- Tabbed views: it should be possible to have multiple tabs open, with reports / ledgers / categories / ...
As an alternative (or add), there should be "back" " Forward" buttons

- Double click on a scheduled transaction should open it in edit mode

- It should not be possible to reconcile in 1 click. If so (and filters are "on"), the transaction "disapears" in the hidden list, and it's very difficult to find it back. Click should toggle between "Cleared" and "Empty" for example

- It should be possible to group / sort the scheduled transaction by a user-selected field.

- It should be possible to display others fields in Scheduled transactions view

- The creation date of the scheduled transaction should be recorded / displayed. This will allow to record a debt (in / out) as a scheduled transaction, with 2 dates (creation / paiement)

- investments: I tried to make a scheduled transaction including the buying of shares from a transaction, but it seems impossible. Every month with my salary, I receive a participation in some parts in a pension fund. Could not get it in KMM.

- Budgetting : I could get a comparison between the budget of next year, and the expenses from this current year, except with modifying the budget himself.

Maybe I just missed a tuto for some of the points above ;-)

I hope this can help in some way. Very Kind regards, (and best wishes for 23)
Gaetan
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Kmymoney usability report  Topic is solved

Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:18 pm
Sorry for responding with a bit of delay and thank you for that detailed report. It is this kind of information which keeps us developers motivated to keep coding on the project and provides useful insights from the user POV. Your statements repeated in blue.

it could be possible to modify a transaction in Category view The latest development version provides that feature.

Tabbed views: it should be possible to have multiple tabs The latest development version supports multiple ledger tabs

Double click on a scheduled transaction should open it in edit mode Valid point if you talk about the schedule preview in the ledger. The schedules view operates exactly in that manner. Added to list of issues.

It should not be possible to reconcile in 1 click Valid point. Added to list of issues.

It should be possible to group / sort the scheduled transaction by a user-selected field. The latest development version allows sorting in all columns.

It should be possible to display others fields in Scheduled transactions view That is an enhancement for another day.

The creation date of the scheduled transaction should be recorded / displayed The latest development version has the ability to show the entry date in the ledger (and also sort by it). No further functionality is tied to it, though. Older versions of the program already record the entry date but don't provide any access to it.

investments: You hit the black spot. Investment handling needs lots of improvements.

Budgetting comparisons I am not sure if that is feasible with the current implementation.

gaetandc wrote:I hope this can help in some way. Very Kind regards, (and best wishes for 23)

Oh yes, this definitely helped. Best wishes for the upcoming year for you as well.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5