This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Annuity Tracking and Reporting

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
uncadon
Registered Member

Annuity Tracking and Reporting

Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:58 pm
Greetings forum members,

I have a variable annuity that I have annuitized and have the money automatically deposited to a checking account once a month. I keep track of the underlying securities, sales and rebalancing in Investment and Brokerage accounts. In KMyMoney, when I enter the monthly securities sales, the proceeds go into the brokerage account and I have a scheduled transaction that transfers from the brokerage account into the checking account.

When I run a report of income and expenses, the income from this annuity don't show up. I'm guessing that because it's a transfer from the investment account to the brokerage account to the checking account, it's a zero-sum transaction. I tried bouncing it through an Income account, but that also becomes a zero-sum transaction. My SO has an annuity that isn't tracked and those payments are simply entered with a scheduled transaction.

Is there any way to get the income from this annuity to show up in the report? The only ways I can think of are to have a separate scheduled transaction that has the income magically show up like it does for my SO and: not track the investment account; let the sales proceeds accumulate in the brokerage account; or transfer from the brokerage account into a dummy account.

Thanx
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Annuity Tracking and Reporting

Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:01 pm
Have you tried checking the "Include transfers" option on the "Rows/Columns" subtab of the "Report" tab of the Report configuration dialog?
uncadon
Registered Member

Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:28 pm
ostroffjh

Thanx for your response. I tried both the "Include transfers" and "Include scheduled transactions" options. Neither worked. However, when I checked "Include unused accounts/categories", the annuity shows up, but the amounts are all $0.00.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:42 pm
I suspect something else in the filters may be excluding those transactions. In particular, I would check that the date range in the filters does not exclude the transactions you are expecting. I've recently run into this with reports that default to "this year," which right now only includes 10 days, and the interesting transactions are from last year. If that's not it, then see if you can create a small sample kmy file that demonstrates the problem. Saving your own file as an anonymous file would also work: see https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kmymone ... ymous.html for information on that.
uncadon
Registered Member

Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:12 pm
ostroffjh

It's not a date issue, the report is for 2022 and is reported monthly. My SO has an annuity that does show up in the report, but with that annuity, it's simply a monthly payment, there is no longer an underlying equity account to keep track of. With my annuity, I get $x.xx every month as long as the value of the equities is above a certain threshold. Then the value drops below the threshold, the monthly amount drops to $y.yy. This is why I want to keep track of the equities account value.

Let me think about uploading a sample file.

Thanx
kde-greg2
Registered Member

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:08 am
From an accounting perspective the transfer is not income. Income occurs when the money first enters your accounting system. Once it's been posted it can not be income. It's a re-allocation of assets. Your income is the net value of your investment sales for the month. Your income may be greater than, less than or equal to your annuity payment.

In my case I don't track the current value of my equities. I use book value. So when I sell, the price per share is the price I paid per share. The interest amount is the difference between what I paid and what I received when it was sold. Using is method I get two numbers, the return of capital and the income earned on that capital. The downside for you is your equities will not reflect there current value.

In your case, using the book value in the sell transaction will change the per share value. I don't believe there is a way to say use this value only for this transaction. So what you could try is record the sale as described above and then the day after the sale, download or update the equity value back to the current value.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:29 pm
As another approach, have you tried to use one of the Transaction reports, instead of an Income/Expenses report?