This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Some categories exist twice

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
spondex
Registered Member

Some categories exist twice

Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:23 pm
MY KMM installation re. its data file is about 3 years old by now. I have started off with some basic entries, and then started to import some MS Money data, and in parallel tried to administer my salary account with a new bank from scratch in KMM.

Now I see some categories listed twice. I guess some are genuine KMM, others are from the import from Money.
Example: the main category Banking Fees is shown twice, and some sub-categories are identical, some miss, some are different. When I use them, there is a difference in display in the account book: "Banking Fees : Trading fee" vs. "Banking Fees:Trading fee".

I would like to clean that up, reassign to genuine KMM categories and delete the imported stuff. When looking at the Category view, I see no difference in the main categories.

What is the easiest way to get rid of the duplicates?

Thanks, Spondex
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Some categories exist twice

Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:57 pm
Make a backup of you data in case something weird happens ;D Open the categories view and select the category that you don't want to keep. Delete it. The deletion function will detect that transactions reference that category and ask for one that should be used instead. Choose the one you want to keep and you're done. This will result in what you are looking for.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5