This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Missing plugin

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Fornhamfred
Registered Member

Missing plugin

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:25 pm
I am running Kmymoney on MX Linux 21 and cannot save my work with the following error reported.
Unable to open file '/media/Data/Roger.kmy' for writing. /build/kmymoney-N273ro/kmymoney-5.1.1/kmymoney/plugins/xml/xmlstorage.cpp:529
This has been running perfectly on MX19.
Could anyone help please.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Missing plugin

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 pm
I see no evidence of a missing plugin. If the xml plugin was missing, you wouldn't have been able to open the file in the first place (or did you just create a new file?)
Second, 5.1.1 is a bit old at this point - 5.1.3 has been out for a while. If you can't find a more up-to-date package for your distribution (I'm not familiar with MX Linux) you might try the appimage version from https://kmymoney.org/appimage.html.

Regarding your problem, is /media/Data a regular directory on a local hard drive? Does something need to be mounted? Are the permissions OK? What file did you open? Can you write to that directory with any other application?
Fornhamfred
Registered Member

Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:14 pm
ostroffjh wrote:I see no evidence of a missing plugin. If the xml plugin was missing, you wouldn't have been able to open the file in the first place (or did you just create a new file?)
Second, 5.1.1 is a bit old at this point - 5.1.3 has been out for a while. If you can't find a more up-to-date package for your distribution (I'm not familiar with MX Linux) you might try the appimage version from https://kmymoney.org/appimage.html.

Regarding your problem, is /media/Data a regular directory on a local hard drive? Does something need to be mounted? Are the permissions OK? What file did you open? Can you write to that directory with any other application?

Thanks for your prompt reply.
The directory is a regular directory on a local drive and the drive is mounted a bootup. Not sure about permissions. The file opened was the last file saved before we updated the distro and unfortunately I have not got access to the computer at present. As soon as I can I will answer your other questions.

UPDATE: Found that the partition ownership had changed from user to root during a system update. Changed this back and Kmymoney is now able to write to its file.

Last edited by Fornhamfred on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:23 pm
When you say the last file saved, do you mean /media/Data/Roger.kmy? In other words, did you try to Save, or to Save As? For permissions, cd to /media/Data and in a console and type "ls -l". You would need to check the permissions on "." (the current folder itself) and on Roger.kmy if there is such a file.