This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wrong Income/Expense report

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zebulon
Registered Member
OS

Wrong Income/Expense report

Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:51 pm
The report contains just one line: the yearly totals of the income category I created for our solar panels. The income is partly a deduction in our electricity bill and partly a cash payout. I assign the same category for both. As a result, I have about 24 contributions per year, depending on the payout dates. The report has numbers for the last seven years. The number for 2022 is incorrect though. Checking a bit more, I found it includes all contributions in 2022 up to the month of June and nothing after that. If I look up the entry in the Categories section, I do see all entries for the entire year. Why does the report ignore the last six months? This is version 5.0.8.

Additional info: The report does not include 2023 income either, even if I did receive a payment on 01/04/23.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Wrong Income/Expense report

Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:03 pm
First, 5.0.8 is very old. 5.1.3 has been available for a while. What platform/OS are you using?
Second, have you confirmed that there isn't a filter for the report set incorrectly? It sounds like it might have a date cutoff set on the Range subtab of the Report tab of the Configuration dialog for the report. You can try modifying (a copy of) the report to be by month instead of by year, and you can try a transaction report to see if it can find all the relevant transactions.
zebulon
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:42 pm
The Range tab says "All dates." If I set it to "Last year" or "Current year" I get the same wrong numbers. My platform is Kubuntu.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:04 pm
Have you looked through all the filters to be sure none of them are mis-set (although that does not seem likely?)
Have you tried a transaction report to confirm the "missing" transactions can be found by some other report? Is there any other category with transactions spread across months to see if they are all found?
Can you try a more recent version than 5.0.8? If you can't find a more recent version packaged for your version of Ubuntu, you can try an appimage (https://kmymoney.org/appimage.html)
zebulon
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 pm
ostroffjh wrote:Have you looked through all the filters to be sure none of them are mis-set (although that does not seem likely?)

Yes. Didn't find anything that would only affect dates after June 2022.

ostroffjh wrote:Have you tried a transaction report to confirm the "missing" transactions can be found by some other report?

Yes. And I found the problem. The report that's wrong is a Custom Report. I obtained it by taking "Default Report Income and Expenses By Year," removing all categories, and re-selecting the only category I'm interested in. This report is wrong. If I reconstruct this report from scratch, it is correct. I cannot remember when I created this Custom Report, but since I have been following this category for over six years, I'd be surprised I only created it in June last year. Not impossible, though.
I will install a new version next.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Wrong Income/Expense report  Topic is solved

Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:05 pm
Your statement of how you created this report matches what I expected based on your description. That's why I suggested looking through every detail of the report configuration to see if you could identify any problem.
I'm very curious what is wrong with that report causing it to miss/ignore some input it should use. Please save a copy of your kmy file, or at least do not delete the bad report yet. Eventually I hope we can compare the old report with the new one you create to replace it.
For now, if you are willing, copy your data file X.kmy to X.xml.gz, then do "gunzip X.xml.gz". That will leave your data as a plain text file X.xml. If you then run 'sed -n "/<REPORT/,/<\/REPORT/p" X.xml" it will show all the custom reports you have created. You should be able to identify the one of interest by its name and/or comment field. Much of it won't necessarily make much sense, but see if there is anything at all in that report definition that looks odd or wrong. I don't know if we'll ever figure out how it happened, but perhaps we can find a way to make it easier to identify such problems.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:34 am
Comparing the faulty XML part against the new one might give us indications.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
zebulon
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:07 pm
I had already fixed the report, but I keep two backup versions of my .kmy file. One was from yesterday morning, before the fix. I extracted the report from both and compared them line by line.

The difference was that the incomplete report had two payees assigned:
P000770" name="NATIONAL GRID ONLINE PMT
P001749" name="NATGRIDUSASERVCO NARRAGANSE

These are the two contributions I mentioned, bill deduction and cash payout.

Sometime last year, our local power company was sold and the provider name changed, it seems.

Thanks for the help figuring this out.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:46 pm
You said you had created the report by limiting it to the one Category; you didin't mention Payees. I don't see why having two payees would exclude recent transactions, unless you mean you now need three payees. If that is the case, then it might be safer to just filter on the category, and not the payee. That is based on the assumption that the category is not used for any other reason.
zebulon
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:36 pm
I have so many payees that I had not noticed they were filtered. I never filter based on payees anyway; I didn't think I had set them. Sorry about that. These transactions are imported from a QFX file. That's how the new payee (or in this case payer) was introduced. I had not thought of comparing the report data in the source file; thanks again for the help.
zebulon
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:35 pm
ostroffjh wrote:Can you try a more recent version than 5.0.8? If you can't find a more recent version packaged for your version of Ubuntu, you can try an appimage (https://kmymoney.org/appimage.html)

The appImage just executes the new version but does not install. How do I replace my old installation? I want the executable to go in /usr/bin. Thanks.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:41 pm
Appimages do not get installed. They are complete, standalone versions, which contain all necessary dependencies. It is completely independent of a distro installed version. If you want, you can uninstall the distro version and put the appimage file in /usr/bin and change the name to kmymoney, or else you can create a script /usr/bin/kmymoney which just runs the appimage file.