This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Double Entry Transactions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kforhvd
Registered Member

Double Entry Transactions

Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:52 pm
Hi.

I am a new user here at KMyMoney. I would like to know how to do double-entry accounting in KMyMoney.
Once import the transactions from my bank, how would transform the Ledger Transaction into Deposit, Transfer and Withdrawal?

I tried looking into the User's Manual https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kmymoney/kmymoney/details.ledger.transactionform.html,
But it says " The transaction methods and the differences between them are discussed in more detail elsewhere."
And there are no references for the same. Further, there are not many online video tutorials for KMyMoney.

Please guide me, on how to do the following transactions.
1. I gave a loan to my friend, without interest, which he will repay maybe a year later. How do create an institution and account for it?
2. I paid my Credit Card Bill from my savings account. Now how to transfer that entry to my credit card account?
3. What is the correct way to do the stock entry? Shall I put it Asset or Equity? How to handle the investment?

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me to do the transactions in a proper manner.
Thank you
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Double Entry Transactions

Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:42 pm
I can certainly give it a try:
kforhvd wrote:1. I gave a loan to my friend, without interest, which he will repay maybe a year later. How do create an institution and account for it?

Create an asset account representing the loan to your friend. If you paid him from your checking account, then create a transaction in your checking account and use the new asset account as category (this will make it a transfer). No need for an institution here. Once he pays you back, then create a transaction for each those payments if it's not in one sum from your loan to your checking account. The balance of the loan account show how much money he still owes you.

kforhvd wrote:2. I paid my Credit Card Bill from my savings account. Now how to transfer that entry to my credit card account?

Similar here: create a transaction in your savings account and use the credit card account as category. The category in both cases represents the so called counter accounts of double-entry bookkeeping. Under the hood, categories are just accounts.

kforhvd wrote:3. What is the correct way to do the stock entry? Shall I put it Asset or Equity? How to handle the investment?

Create the investment account in Assets. The equity account group is only used as counter-account for opening balances.

Hope that helps to get started.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
kforhvd
Registered Member

Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:44 am
Thank you so much.
Much appreciate your quick response.

Further, it will be much more helpful, if you can publish proper tutorial video series.
So that newbies like me can learn this wonderful software easily.

And how about the integration with android on mobile?

Thank you.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Double Entry Transactions  Topic is solved

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 am
Further, it will be much more helpful, if you can publish proper tutorial video series.
So that newbies like me can learn this wonderful software easily.

We are still looking for people who are more literate in video production and can spend some time for this task. Any takers?
And how about the integration with android on mobile?

Whatever integration means at this point. Various ideas already popped up but one item was common: it should not hold all the data and be only a companion (whatever that means). Also on this, we look for volunteers to start working on it. We are certainly helping out wherever we can.

kforhvd
Registered Member

Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:30 pm
It would be great to have an Android / iPhone application which can work with the data on the cloud (e.g. Google Drive / Dropbox).

And one of my suggestions is to have an appealing user interface. The functionality is already good for the application, but an aesthetically appealing layout can certainly be an advantage.
Especially, the home screen is very dull and a bit old-fashioned. Though it is having enough informative data, the lack of a graphically balanced layout, the overall UI experience becomes unattractive.

Hope we get a better UI in future.

Thank you
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:59 pm
[quote]It would be great to have an Android / iPhone application which can work with the data on the cloud (e.g. Google Drive / Dropbox).[/quote]iPhone and its eco system are a special beast from what I have heard. For an Android version: Volunteers are very welcome.

[quote]Especially, the home screen is very dull and a bit old-fashioned. Though it is having enough informative data, the lack of a graphically balanced layout, the overall UI experience becomes unattractive.[/quote]
So true. Besides that video and Android person we also look for UI/UX experts to help out here. A [url=https://invent.kde.org/office/kmymoney/-/merge_requests/120]first step[/url] was made, but was never continued :(