This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Enter Credit Card details

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ramcauley
Registered Member

Enter Credit Card details

Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:28 pm
I'm new to KMM but liking it so far. I've created a mortgage loan account info using a workaround from this forum. It worked great. But when I try to create a Credit Card or Line of Credit account I run into trouble.
If I use the "credit card" account type there is no field for inputting the CC interest rate. I can create the scheduled payment but no interest/principal data is created. Same for the LOC.
I can use the "loan" account type, like a mortgage or car loan, as a work around, but there is no stated "Term" to a Credit Card or Line of Credit so I can't enter this data. I can "fudge" the info using the amount and an artificial term to get the payment correct, but that does not track the P/I properly.
Any suggestions?
I'm using KMM 5.1.3 on Windows 10.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Enter Credit Card details  Topic is solved

Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:35 pm
I don't think KMyMoney can do what you want. A Credit Card account is just a Liability Account. That means it knows it represents money that you owe. It doesn't know anything about interest rates, it doesn't calculate the minimum balance for each payment, and it doesn't track when your payment is due. I suppose those are all reasonable things that could be requested using a wishlist bug, but I don't think the priority would be very high for implementation.
One thing I do, which you might find helpful, is to have a scheduled transaction for the monthly payment. The amount is essentially irrelevant (I pay off my card in full every month, so the amount is not predictable) but it does remind me that the payment date is approaching. If I remember, I do set the next payment amount when I reconcile the account.
ramcauley
Registered Member

Re: Enter Credit Card details

Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:20 pm
Thanks for the response. I've created a work around by treating the CC debt as a "mortgage' using the steps described by caseybralla a few years ago. That way the available room and gross amount owing is always "out front" on my balance sheet to remind me. I.e.:

-"house" Asset Account becomes "CC Credit Limit" Asset Account for this purpose, set to credit limit,
-"mortgage" Account (loan) becomes "CC Balance Owing" Account, set to outstanding CC balance on the date you are starting from,
-"Capital Gain/Loss Unrealized" Income becomes "CC Credit Room Available" Income, and
-"mortgage interest" Expense becomes "CC Interest" Expense.

As there I no specified Term to a CC loan I inserted the monthly amount I am paying (I set a defined monthly amount as a scheduled transaction to pay down my outstanding balance) and let the wizard calculate the term and balloon payment. The information is sobering!

Until I reconcile the statement I let KMM program the Scheduled Transactions. In my case they're only out be a few dollars, so I can wait to reconcile them accordingly.

It's not penny perfect but it's close and let's me see my CC debt and room anytime on my balance sheets.
ramcauley
Registered Member

Re: Enter Credit Card details

Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:21 pm
I treat my bank's unsecured Line of Credit (loan) the same way.