This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unable to open file for writing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mvjohnboy
Registered Member

Unable to open file for writing

Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:01 pm
Getting started with KMyMoney... I can successfully open and save a file that is on my local machine. However, if I try to use a file on a remote machine, I get the error, "Unable to open file '//sharename/file' for writing. C:\...\kmymoney\plugins\xml\xmlstorage.cpp:510".

I get the same error if I attempt to use the file on a linux server (via samba) or another windows machine (shared folder). I can read and write txt or MS Word files from the location, just not KMyMoney files.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Unable to open file for writing

Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:07 pm
What version of KMM are you running, and which OS?
mvjohnboy
Registered Member

Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:18 pm
KMM version 5.1.3-5b03a2216
Windows 11 Home, version 22H2
mvjohnboy
Registered Member

Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:53 pm
I should clarify my problem statement a little.

I can open the file from the remote file system. I get the error when I attempt to save the file. Interestingly, the backup file is successfully created (file.kmy.~6) on the remote file system when I attempt the save.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:12 am
I know there used to be a problem saving remotely from a Windows system related to the actual system calls used, but I thought it had been fixed, although I don't remember exactly when. It appears your version is from August, 2022, so you might try getting a newer version to see if the problem is still present or not.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:03 am
The version mvjohnboy is using should actually contain the fix ostroffjh is talking about. The source code location reported (xmlstorage.cpp, line 510) identifies, that KMyMoney is trying to write the data to a temporary file on the local disk. This is done first and if successful the file is copied to the remote location in a second step.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
mvjohnboy
Registered Member

Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 pm
I found a work-around.

In windows explorer, I used "Map network drive..." to a assign a drive letter to the fileserver directory.
My_share_name(\\hostname) (S:)

When I opened my file navigating via the drive letter, I was able to successfully save it.
joliebrousseau
Registered Member

Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:23 am
That error message you mentioned sounds frustrating. Have you tried checking the file permissions on the remote machine or server to make sure that KMyMoney has the necessary permissions to read and write the file? It's also possible that there may be a connection issue with the network or shared folder.