This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMY file is unparseable.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
atheist
Registered Member
OS

KMY file is unparseable.

Mon May 22, 2023 11:45 pm
I don't know what I did to arrive at this impasse, but all of a sudden I cannot open my file. (Using: kmymoney-5.1-492-linux-gcc-x86_64_494030f0808318425d6a9b17bd6457f4.AppImage in Fedora)
I get the following error:

File was not parsable! /home/appimage/Craft/BinaryFactory/downloads/git/extragear/kmymoney/kmymoney/plugins/xml/mymoneystoragexml.cpp:1411

I tried (a) going back to a previous version of the program, (b) renaming the data file to *.xml.gz, unzipping it, and trying to load that expanded file, (c) tried a backed up version of the data from an external drive, and of course the mandatory (d) rebooting. No joy.

Any ideas? thanks, A
atheist
Registered Member
OS

Re: KMY file is unparseable.

Tue May 23, 2023 3:01 am
A little more investigating shows that it is the kmy-file plus the 4 latest ones behind it that are corrupted. I was able to go to *.kmy.5~ and get back up and running. If anyone knows how I could have committed this faux pas, I would appreciate the knowledge.
Thanks,
A
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Tue May 23, 2023 6:07 am
Since you know how to convert a gzipped .kmy file into the corresponding .xml format, you can do that for the last one working and the first one failing. Then you can use the diff command line tool to see the differences. Maybe, that shows the problem. You could also run xmllint on both to see if that shows any errors and report back.

Hint: zcat xxx.kmy > xxx.xml is a quick way to get to the xml file format.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
atheist
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 25, 2023 1:25 am
Thanks, IPW.
I tried diff and also some of the sexier gui versions but there are so many differences that it is impossible to wade through. I piped diff jpgood8.xml jpbad6.xml > diffs and that diffs file was as large as the sum of the two original files. (40 megs. !)

On the other hand, your suggestion of xmllint solved the problem. When I run xmllint on the bad file I get:
It turns out that there was an end-of-file marker (</KMYMONEY-FILE>) that was misplaced -- roughly half way up in the file. I moved it down to the eof, and the file loads. I don't know how that could have happened.

In any case, just to be on the safe side, I have gone back to the most recent "good" file and updated it.

and thanks for the tip about zcat, that is slightly faster than gunzip...
A