This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is there a way ton port KMyMoney to Windows (win32) ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ahamel
Registered Member
Hi all,

Is there a way to port KMyMoney to windows (like Grisbi for example) ? I see there is a KDE 4.x port ; it is certainly possible to compile KMyMoney with it ? Is somebody try that or help me to do that ?

Bests regards & merry christmas !
A. HAMEL.

Last edited by ahamel on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
There is a plan to port KMyMoney to the KDE 4.x environment, but work has not started yet. Once the port is done though, I am sure it will be available for the MS-Win environment as well.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
ipwizard wrote:There is a plan to port KMyMoney to the KDE 4.x environment, but work has not started yet. Once the port is done though, I am sure it will be available for the MS-Win environment as well.

All,

I remember reading in this forum that there was a plan to begin the porting to KDE 4.x sometime in early 2009. If it's all right with you all, I'd like to volunteer my services to help that along. Kmymoney looks like a fantastic project, and addresses a lot of the issues I think need improvement with GnuCash, but I don't use my Linux install often enough to make it my primary finance program.

Ideally, I'd love to see a PortableApps (see PortableApps.com) version of Kmymoney at some point in the future. Thanks for the great project, and I hope I can help! :-D

-Mike Wolfe

wolfemi1, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
wolfemi1 wrote:I remember reading in this forum that there was a plan to begin the porting to KDE 4.x sometime in early 2009. If it's all right with you all, I'd like to volunteer my services to help that along. Kmymoney looks like a fantastic project, and addresses a lot of the issues I think need improvement with GnuCash, but I don't use my Linux install often enough to make it my primary finance program.

Any help is always appreciated. So far, the work has not started. First we need to get another stable release out the door.

What is your background wrt KDE4/Qt4/C++ if I may ask?

wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
ipwizard wrote:
wolfemi1 wrote:I remember reading in this forum that there was a plan to begin the porting to KDE 4.x sometime in early 2009. If it's all right with you all, I'd like to volunteer my services to help that along. Kmymoney looks like a fantastic project, and addresses a lot of the issues I think need improvement with GnuCash, but I don't use my Linux install often enough to make it my primary finance program.

Any help is always appreciated. So far, the work has not started. First we need to get another stable release out the door.

What is your background wrt KDE4/Qt4/C++ if I may ask?

Hello,

I am somewhat experienced with C++, and have been using it for ~3 years professionally and in college. I have used KDE4, and I may be getting a new job which uses Qt, so I figure this would be a good way to learn and practice. :)

-Mike

ahamel
Registered Member
ipwizard wrote:There is a plan to port KMyMoney to the KDE 4.x environment, but work has not started yet. Once the port is done though, I am sure it will be available for the MS-Win environment as well.

Hi,

In fact, KDE 4 is not mandatory (but just a sample). A port of KMyMoney under another version of KDE (QT ??) is welkome! Is this possible with the current version? If yes, where can I found a tuto to do compile a win32 version of KMyMoney?

Bests regards,
A. HAMEL.
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS
I don't think it would be possible to compile KMyMoney in Windows as it is now, using Qt3. And I haven't seen such a tutorial anywhere.

Personally, I don't have a Windows setup, but if someone wants to give it a try, you are welcome.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
Qt3 is available (though not as open source) for the MS-Windows environments but KDE3 is not (at least not in the form we need it).

I would not start to investigate this any further. Wait until we port to KDE4 which is/will be available on MS-Windows. Then it shouldn't be too hard to make KMyMoney work there as well.

srix
Registered Member
You can run Kmymoney on windows using Andlinux.
Check this article "How to run KMyMoney in Windows" [http://technosrix.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-run-kmymoney-in-windows.html]
wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
Additionally, if you want to run KMyMoney but are stuck in the Windows world, you can use the free-as-in-beer VMWare Player and download a stock Kubuntu Virtual Machine from the site as well. Note that this takes more horsepower/memory than, say, the andLinux way, but has been a bit less difficult from my experience.

Sandyface
Registered Member
OS
srix wrote:You can run Kmymoney on windows using Andlinux.
Check this article "How to run KMyMoney in Windows" [http://technosrix.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-run-kmymoney-in-windows.html]

Thanks. That looks interesting, and I'll have to check it out. I often have to boot into Windows for certain things, and I like how I can use Thunderbird from either OS. It would be great to have the same ability with KMyMoney.