This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] American Express direct download not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
All,

I'm currently trying to set up my accounts in KMyMoney to use OFX direct download, and have been having success with the exception of my American Express account. I just got off the phone with a tech at American Express, and right now ( 1:30 PM EST Dec 31st 2008), the OFX download server is down. This is not a problem with KMyMoney.

-Mike

Last edited by wolfemi1 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolfemi1, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
Actually, cancel that, I'm still having a problem and they say that their server is working.

Is anyone having the same problem? I use the American Express Cards information to attempt a direct ofx download, using my username and password from the normal web access site (which I verified as correct with tech support). After trying to log on with this information, this error message comes up:

Code: Select all
No suitable accounts were found at this bank.

The techs at American Express flat out refuse to provide support for connecting other than reading through a script for one of the Quickens or MS Moneys. I have tried to verify the manual download info with them, but none of them know the address of their OFX direct download server. I can download fine from two other institutions using direct download in KMyMoney, and I can download from American Express and from the others into GnuCash.

Any thoughts?

-Mike

ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
wolfemi1 wrote:I have tried to verify the manual download info with them, but none of them know the address of their OFX direct download server. I can download fine from two other institutions using direct download in KMyMoney, and I can download from American Express and from the others into GnuCash.

At this point, I usually grab the swiss army knife of networking: Wireshark. See which servers are contacted when you use GnuCash and check what KMyMoney does in the same context. Don't worry if you can't read the data: it's encrypted, but you can still see the IP address of the server and whatching the DNS resolution you see which hostname was used to get that IP address. In case it's the identical server, we need to go one step beyond.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for your help. I have been unable to get GnuCash working properly again. It's been a week since I've been able to use it, and I ended up having to reinstall. Anyway, it's strange, since I was able to get my account number and information from AMEX through GnuCash portable, which I haven't been able to do. Also, it tells me that the IP address is 12.29.100.25, which is also the address that I get if I ping www99.americanexpress.com (the part of the address that both GnuCash and KMyMoney use for OFX direct download). So, I know that it's going to the right place, and I know that I am capable of getting accounts from AMEX in GnuCash, but the error message I get in KMyMoney seems to imply that I'm not getting even that part.

I guess my questions are these:

1) Should I still try checking network traffic with WireShark? I haven't used it since it was Ethereal, and there might be a bit of a earning curve with it. :-S

2) Is there some way to set up OFX direct connect logging when using KMyMoney, so I could maybe get more information as to what's actually happening.

3) Are there any users out there reading this that have an American Express card account that they use OFX Direct Connect with? If so, please let me know whether it works or not, it may help out with a diagnosis...

Thanks for all your help,

-Mike

ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
wolfemi1 wrote:1) Should I still try checking network traffic with WireShark? I haven't used it since it was Ethereal, and there might be a bit of a earning curve with it. :-S

2) Is there some way to set up OFX direct connect logging when using KMyMoney, so I could maybe get more information as to what's actually happening.

3) Are there any users out there reading this that have an American Express card account that they use OFX Direct Connect with? If so, please let me know whether it works or not, it may help out with a diagnosis...

1) Maybe, but I doubt that we get more than IP addresses in case of an encrypted connection.

2) Create an empty file called ofxlog.txt in your HOME directory with e.g.

[font=Courier]touch $HOME/ofxlog.txt[/font]

then start KMyMoney and the download. Once done, check the contents of the file. If you're done logging, simply remove the file to turn off logging. You need CVS HEAD for this to work, as we just added it recently.

3) ???

Last edited by ipwizard on Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
ipwizard,

Thanks for the quick help. The ofxlog feature will surely come in handy. Also, sorry if I wasn't clear in the third question, that was supposed to be directed to anyone who was using Direct Download with AMEX who happened to be reading this post, not the devs specifically.

I'll give the ofxlog file a test later on and tell you how it went.

-Mike

ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
wolfemi1 wrote:Also, sorry if I wasn't clear in the third question, that was supposed to be directed to anyone who was using Direct Download with AMEX who happened to be reading this post, not the devs specifically.

No problem, with ??? I meant to say I honestly don't know. Of course one can also interpret it as What?, but I sure understood what you're trying to achieve.

wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
All right, I fiddled with GnuCash, and I got American Express direct downloading working there, so I'm pretty sure it isn't a problem with American Express.

I turned on the OFX logging by creating the text file in my home directory, like you described above. I don't get any recordings from trying to set up my AMEX account, though I DO get them when I actually update the other accounts I have which work.

When trying to set up the AMEX account, I only get the error message saying that there are no suitable accounts at that institution. I have tried to manually enter correct data for the URL and other fields, but doing so results in the same error message. I also updated KMyMoney to the latest build (01-08-09), but the problem remains.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,

-Mike

aga
Registered Member
OS
wolfemi1 wrote:Thank you for your help. I have been unable to get GnuCash working properly again. It's been a week since I've been able to use it, and I ended up having to reinstall. Anyway, it's strange, since I was able to get my account number and information from AMEX through GnuCash portable, which I haven't been able to do. Also, it tells me that the IP address is 12.29.100.25, which is also the address that I get if I ping www99.americanexpress.com (the part of the address that both GnuCash and KMyMoney use for OFX direct download). So, I know that it's going to the right place, and I know that I am capable of getting accounts from AMEX in GnuCash, but the error message I get in KMyMoney seems to imply that I'm not getting even that part.

Do you know what Gnucash is pretending to be, - MS Money or Quicken?

Try the same with KMyMoney, if you haven't already.

Allan

aga, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
Thanks everyone for your help, I know I may be a bit persistent here. :)

Aga, I'm not sure which software GnuCash is impersonating (I believe it's Money 2006?), but I have tried with each of the individual 'spoofs' (each MS money version, each Quicken version, and KMyMoney), and the same error message comes up for each.

By the way, I noticed that if you select American Express Cards from the drop-down menu, and use its connection information, there is one field (fipid) that is not used when manually inputting connection information. Does this seem at all suspicious?

Thanks,

-Mike

troycarpenter
Registered Member
OS
I haven't gotten it to work yet either, but my error message is different:

Code: Select all
01:05:09
Sending jobs to the bank(s)
[...]
01:05:15
Connecting to bank...
Error parsing server response
Postprocessing jobs
Resetting provider queues
Finished. You may close this window.

I am using the settings from http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/OFX_Direct ... k_Settings but kMyMoney wants a bank ID even though there doesn't appear to be one.

I'm still running 0.9, but plan to install the CVS version here in a bit.[hr]
Well, I replaced the default Intrepid kMM packages with Clay's CVS version, but KMM doesn't see aqbanking anymore, and now I can't get online working with any of my accounts. When I try to setup online banking now, everything says "no suitable accounts found..." message.

AND, this is obviously not the latest CVS-HEAD because I'm not getting any debug in the ofxlog.txt file still. The setup seems easier with this version, but alas I have not figured out how to get it working.

Last edited by troycarpenter on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
troycarpenter
Registered Member
OS
After letting my bank settle overnight, I was able to get it to download transactions.

Unfortunately, I am still getting the "no suitable accounts" for American Express.

AND, I just checked the ofxlog.txt file, and there is nothing for Amex there, only the competed online transaction with my bank. There is also an empty file called response.ofx in my home directory.

Last edited by troycarpenter on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aga
Registered Member
OS
troycarpenter wrote:I haven't gotten it to work yet either, but my error message is different:

I am using the settings from http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/OFX_Direct ... k_Settings but kMyMoney wants a bank ID even though there doesn't appear to be one.

Well, I replaced the default Intrepid kMM packages with Clay's CVS version, but KMM doesn't see aqbanking anymore, and now I can't get online working with any of my accounts. When I try to setup online banking now, everything says "no suitable accounts found..." message.

AND, this is obviously not the latest CVS-HEAD because I'm not getting any debug in the ofxlog.txt file still. The setup seems easier with this version, but alas I have not figured out how to get it working.

I'm not an expert by any means, but wonder if there is some confusion here? As I understand it, there are two seperate means of doing OFX connect, via aqbanking, and via ofxbanking. You refer above to aqbanking, whereas, as I understand it, Thomas (IPWizard) in referring to ofxlog.txt, may have been referring to ofxbanking, which is his particular area of expertise. It may be that ofxlog.txt is not valid for aqbanking. I know in your later post other accounts are leaving data, but am just curious about your reference to aqbanking.

Allan

aga, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
wolfemi1
Registered Member
OS
I know that GnuCash (which works properly with AMEX for me) uses AqBanking for direct OFX downloads. I'm guessing that KMyMoney uses ofxbanking, true? Is KMyMoney able to use AqBanking as an OFX download backend, so we could see if that works?

Thanks,

Mike

troycarpenter
Registered Member
OS
aga wrote:
troycarpenter wrote:I haven't gotten it to work yet either, but my error message is different:

I'm not an expert by any means, but wonder if there is some confusion here? As I understand it, there are two seperate means of doing OFX connect, via aqbanking, and via ofxbanking. You refer above to aqbanking, whereas, as I understand it, Thomas (IPWizard) in referring to ofxlog.txt, may have been referring to ofxbanking, which is his particular area of expertise. It may be that ofxlog.txt is not valid for aqbanking. I know in your later post other accounts are leaving data, but am just curious about your reference to aqbanking.

Allan

Yes, there was the difference there at first, but in the latter messages, I thought I mentioned (or I forgot to mention) that I switched to Clay's ppa packages and therefore switched methods. My current error message is now the same for American Express.