This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Where is the kmymoney executable?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kslinux
Registered Member
OS
I am new to linux.

I have kubuntu 8.10 (using kde 4.1.2) installed on a seven year old Dell Dimension 4500 desktop computer.

I downloaded kmymoney2-0.9.2 onto this computer and used Ark to extract the files.

Remembering that I am very much a beginner, how do I get kmymoney to run?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
pansz
Registered Member
OS
for new users, I think use:

sudo apt-get install kmymoney2

is a much easier way to install.
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS
You should use the preferred method for installing things in Kubuntu. Just open Adept, on your System programs menu, and select KMyMoney.

In linux, you don't wander around, downloading executables from somewhere and installing them. For Kubuntu you have Adept, which provides you over 10,000 programs available from a safe location. The version may not be the latest but it is the way to go when you are still getting used to this new system.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
troycarpenter
Registered Member
OS
I know you are new, but if you want to use adept to get very close to the latest KMyMoney CVS version, check out Clay's PPA.

See this post: kmm2-development-p ... -8052.html

Be sure you uninstall everything kmymoney that you have already installed, then add Clay's repository as outlined in the thread. After that you only need to add the kmymoney2 package. Make sure it has a date and the letters 'cvs' in the version, and that the maintainer is listed as Clay Weber.
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS
And please ask any questions you may have. Don't worry about looking like a newbie. We are here to help.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
kslinux
Registered Member
OS
Thanks.

Please be patient with me. I only get to check this board about once a day.

I deleted my previous kmymoney file. I installed kmymoney using Adept. Now what do I do? Do I have to compile it and, if so, how? How do I get it to run.

Lots of questions from a newbie. Thanks again in advance for your help!
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS
If you installed it with Adept, you should have it on your Office applications menu. Also, in a terminal, you can type kmymoney2.

john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
Once you have run KMyMoney once and created your first file, you will only need to click on the file to start KMyMoney. You can forget about starting the program itself completely.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
kslinux
Registered Member
OS
Thank you. I've been busy the last couple of days setting up kmymoney. It's working great!