This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cvs?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rafulton1944
Registered Member

Cvs?

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:24 am
Jargon is great unless you are new to KMyMoney and Linux. Would someone please tell me what CVS means? How does a CVS version differ from other versions?

Thanks,
Rich
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Cvs?

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:38 am
CVS is a file revision control system, which is used so changes can be tracked and reverted if they cause problems. Their is no difference between the CVS version and all other versions except that the CVS version is the latest ( in development ) software.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:59 am
Take it as a positive discrimination. If you need to ask what CVS means, then that version is not for you. It is a development-related term, not specific to Linux nor KMyMoney. It is the name of Versioning System we use. Basically, where all the code is stored.

That version is the latest and brightest, but it might also have some nasty error. We try to avoid that at all costs, but it might happen.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:57 am
In general, the developers store all changes in the CVS repository. This allows us to revisit changes we have made long ago. At certain stages, we release the then current state and give them a number. At the same time, the CVS repository will be given a so called tag that identifies the state in which the files were, when we did the release. The state and tag will never change after that. This way, we can easily extract the state of a release by using the tag when pulling the files out of the CVS repository.

CVS HEAD actually means the tag with the name HEAD. This is somewhat special compared to the tags explained above, as it is dynamic and always refers to the state of the repository after the latest change. So the contents you get from the repository by using HEAD may be different from day to day. Sometimes, the state even changes on an hourly basis.

Want to know even more? Check out the KMyMoney project handbook for some background information about configuration management.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
rafulton1944
Registered Member

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:02 pm
Thanks for the info! I think KMyMoney is a great product. It will serve me well, as I continue learning how to use it. Since switching to Ubuntu from Windows, I feel better running a native Linux application (KMyMoney) rather than running Quicken under Wine or Crossover Office.

Rich