This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kde4/qt4

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Kde4/qt4

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:46 am
Is there a rough timeline before work is started on porting to KDE4 and QT4?

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS

RE: Kde4/qt4

Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:04 am
Thomas has been doing some work, but we still have to get 1.0 out the door.

I would say after March, at least.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:38 pm
I've done quite a bit of Qt3 to Qt4 porting, and I would like to help in this project if help is needed. Contact me if so.

One piece of advice though: The first step needs to be a straight Qt3 -> Qt4 port. Don't do any refactoring, rearchitecting, new features, etc. Whenever my clients have done that they've gotten themselves into trouble. In the long run it is *quicker* to port first and improve/refactor second.

Don't look back! (Or you might see the giants whose shoulders we stand on)
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 am
Brandybuck wrote:I've done quite a bit of Qt3 to Qt4 porting, and I would like to help in this project if help is needed. Contact me if so.

Done hereby. Help is always welcome.

Brandybuck wrote:One piece of advice though: The first step needs to be a straight Qt3 -> Qt4 port. Don't do any refactoring, rearchitecting, new features, etc. Whenever my clients have done that they've gotten themselves into trouble. In the long run it is *quicker* to port first and improve/refactor second.

Thanks for this small but important piece of advice. The current plan included some straightening where necessary. I still think it's needed at some points, but with your know-how in mind we will be able to limit this to the required minimum.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:15 pm
ipwizard wrote:Done hereby. Help is always welcome.

I'll join your development list soon (after the 4.2 flurry dies down).

Don't look back! (Or you might see the giants whose shoulders we stand on)