This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is this the 'official' Kmymoney forum?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bailout
Registered Member
Is this the 'official' forum for kmymoney now? If so are there going to be links to here from the kmm website and in the help menu of future kmm releases? Or will the primary official user support still be the mailing list?

thanks

bailout, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
This forum is moderated by the KMyMoney development team. I guess this makes it the 'official' forum, but I don't know whether it's the primary or secondary support channel; Hei Ku will probably answer that.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS
bailout wrote:Is this the 'official' forum for kmymoney now? If so are there going to be links to here from the kmm website and in the help menu of future kmm releases? Or will the primary official user support still be the mailing list?

thanks

The primary way of support, from a development point of view, will continue to be the mailing lists, because that's what is more comfortable to us developers to use.

However, since users have requested a forum, we asked the KDE administrators to give us a space here. How this space will develop will depend on the you use it. As a member of the development team, I try to encourage every possible way that users can have to communicate with us and among themselves.

Right now, the forum is on "probation" for a few months, so to speak. If it has enough traffic, it will continue to exist, if not, it will be shut down. So it depends on whether you use it or not.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
kap4lin
Registered Member
OS
Hei Ku wrote:
bailout wrote:Is this the 'official' forum for kmymoney now? If so are there going to be links to here from the kmm website and in the help menu of future kmm releases? Or will the primary official user support still be the mailing list?

thanks

Right now, the forum is on "probation" for a few months, so to speak. If it has enough traffic, it will continue to exist, if not, it will be shut down. So it depends on whether you use it or not.

As bailout said, it will be beneficial to publicize this forum, especially from the kmm website. Also, I don't know if this is possible, it will be nice if a weekly digest (assuming this forum gets low traffic) of this forum can be sent to the mailing list. That way, the developers and other used can keep a tab on the forum discussions.

Sidux 2010.01 (Debian/Sid) - Intel i5 M 540, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia NVS 3100M on Lenovo T410
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
kap4lin wrote:it will be nice if a weekly digest of this forum can be sent to the mailing list

This forum currently doesn't support digests, but developers can subscribe to this forum to get notifications of new messages by mail. On top of that, this forum also supports RSS and Atom feeds. And MyBB has a great plugin system, so anyone is invited to create a MyBB plugin (just some basic PHP knowledge should do the trick). The forum.kde.org team is currently working on a plugin to have new threads posted to IRC channels (like insanity does for Amarok); we can't say anything about a release date yet, though, any help is welcomed.

Communicate.
bailout
Registered Member
People can't use it if they don't know it is here. If there is no publicity given to it then it will become a self defeating experiment, ie nobody knows it exists so nobody uses it so it can be declared a failure and shut down. I hope that isn't the intention.

neverendingo
Administrator
OS
bailout wrote:People can't use it if they don't know it is here.

We gave the KMyMoney team some time to shape this forum. If you have any suggestions, please contact them directly; it would be a bit odd to fill the KMyMoney forum with a discussion about filling the KMyMoney forum...

Communicate.
bailout
Registered Member
OhReally wrote:
bailout wrote:People can't use it if they don't know it is here.

We gave the KMyMoney team some time to shape this forum. If you have any suggestions, please contact them directly; it would be a bit odd to fill the KMyMoney forum with a discussion about filling the KMyMoney forum...

My post is really directed at Hei Ku who is , from what I gather, the member of the kmm development team handling this forum and is involved in this thread.

Hei Ku
Registered Member
OS
bailout wrote:People can't use it if they don't know it is here. If there is no publicity given to it then it will become a self defeating experiment, ie nobody knows it exists so nobody uses it so it can be declared a failure and shut down. I hope that isn't the intention.

Given that it was me who requested this forum, I don't think that is the intention.
We had a public discussion in both the user and developers list before that whether it would be a good idea, and the majority (not all) thought it was, so we moved ahead with it.

The forum has been live for only 4 days. KDE forums have been up barely over 2 weeks. So it is all new to us.

In short, I don't fully understand what you expect from us.
We asked for the forum. I devote some of my very limited time (which I should spend developing, btw) to moderate it. We will probably release an announcement soon and add a link here from our page (when the web page maintainer returns), and we are looking at ways to connect this forum with our own infrastructure (keep in mind that we remain a project separate from KDE).
Is this the "official" forum for KMyMoney? Yes
Is this going to replace the mailing lists as the main way of support? Not now, and not likely in the near future.
We keep an eye on several trackers, distro forums, etc. but the mailing lists are the most comfortable way for us to work, so they will probably remain as the main line of support.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
bailout
Registered Member
It is good to hear that you are going to put a link on the site and then users can go to which medium they prefer. tbh I can't see why a developer needs to moderate a forum like this. Perhaps in the future you could get a volunteer to take over the moderating? It would be good if developers contribute when they have time but on forums like this most user support can be users helping each other.

neverendingo
Administrator
OS
It would be nice to have a developer being moderating a forum, simply because they tend to know much about the application. And as you may have noticed in other threads on this board, there is much input from direct developers or packagers or other people around KDE. And that's really a nice thing, the response increases, when you have people who wrote the stuff, and know what parts were up to packagers etc.
And the final thing, i think OhReally already mentioned it. We don't want the board to be bloated. We have sections for every kind of KDE application. And we can add any subforum, if there is the need for it. But simply adding it, just because this app exists is rather useless at this stage.
So, hope to see an end on this.

Communicate.