This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

To buy or not to buy?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wotan
Registered Member
OS

To buy or not to buy?

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:56 am
An idea:
I plan to buy an mp3 player but i don't want to buy it and then having problem syncing its playlist with amarok etc.
I could ask on amarok section which devices have the most problem but it is likely that i am getting told "everythings works perfectly".
And if I ask to a vendor I will get an "amawhat? KD-what?"

Ideally what would be usefull is a sort of database where we can rank hardware we buy in terms of compatibility with linux and KDE. In my idea it would an online site like bugs.kde.org where people would be able to create a new device name and post comment and ranking under it.

Daily use:
is that when you want to buy a new webcam/smartphone/anything instead of having to search for related threads on this or that forum I could just search the database for this devicename, and see if people have trouble or not, which trouble they have. The ubuntu site has sort of ranking of wifi card and smartphone (ranked by syncing ability) on some of its page , but there is no unified BIG centralized database.

Advantage
As a person you spare times and money by avoiding to buy things that do not work
As a comunity it would help us to promote the kde freindliness and linux friendliness

What's your opinion on it?