This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE on the Chromebook Pixel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MountainX
Registered Member
OS

KDE on the Chromebook Pixel

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:08 pm
I was just reading about running Linux on the new Chromebook Pixel. It sounds really interesting. If we could run KDE on the Chromebook Pixel and take advantage of all the touchscreen features, I think I would pay $1300 for the Chromebook Pixel. So if anyone gets this working, please post about it. :-)

Psst: The Chromebook Pixel can run Linux, too | Computerworld Blogs
http://blogs.computerworld.com/laptops/ ... ixel-linux

Chromebook Pixel: Would you pay $1300 for a cloud-centric laptop? | Computerworld Blogs
http://blogs.computerworld.com/laptops/ ... ric-laptop
Fri13
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE on the Chromebook Pixel

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 am
I was just reading about running Linux on the new Chromebook Pixel. It sounds really interesting. If we could run KDE on the Chromebook Pixel and take advantage of all the touchscreen features, I think I would pay $1300 for the Chromebook Pixel. So if anyone gets this working, please post about it.

ChromeOS use same Linux operating system as any other Linux distribution like openSUSE, Mageia, Mint, Ubuntu, RedHat etc.
The difference is in elsewhere than what OS is used.

When you see ChromeOS, it use Linux operating system.
When you see Android, it use as well Linux operating system.
When you see KDE, GNOME, XFCE... you can not be sure they are ran by Linux as those are ported to FreeBSD and few other operating system as well. You need to know the distribution and even then they can be ran by other OS if distributor distributes other OS as well, example Debian distributes Linux, FreeBSD and HURD operating systems.
So your only way to quickly know what OS is ran is to use command line and use "uname" program to tell you the used OS by typing "uname" to command line shell.

The rule of thumb: What you see on computer display, is not the operating system but the software what makes the graphical user interface.

And Google has told that you can install wanted Linux distribution to that. You have the 32 and 64 GiB models available and if you install example Arch Linux you can get under 2 GiB software system for disk space use and rest are for your files with full KDE experience.
Is it worth it? Well the screen is beuty and awesome 3:2 display ratio so... The battery lifetime just is where ball is dropped.