This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can I contribute to KDE?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
georgelappies
Registered Member
OS

How can I contribute to KDE?

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:56 am
Hi all

I have been using KDE for a while now and it is an amazingly beautiful desktop.

I would like to contribute financially to the project, how would one go about to do that and ensure that the money gets to the right people?

Kind regards,

George
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: How can I contribute to KDE?

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:23 pm
One thing you can do is to Join the game.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
georgelappies
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:40 pm
Hans wrote:One thing you can do is to Join the game.

Thanks Hans, was exactly what I was looking for.

EDIT:
mmmm, tried to register on that site but got the calendar to select my date of birth in Chinese? How is that possible? At work now so I cannot upload the screenshot to flickr and can not find a way to upload the image from this site.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:13 pm
Thanks George for considering to join the game, it's a great help for KDE. I can reproduce your problem with the calendar and have sent an email to the website maintainers about it. Sorry for the trouble!

EDIT: This has now been fixed, thanks to Lugi Toscano for investigating and Ingo Malchow (neverendingo) for the fix.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
georgelappies
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:45 am
Hans

I see the issue on the http://jointhegame.kde.org/join/information site still persist.

One is carefull to submit your details when you encounter an issue like this as you do not know whether the site may have been compromised?

I really want to "join the game" but dont want to become a victim of possible identity theft in the process. Yes I am maybe over reacting here but I sure would like to be positive that my 100 Euros gets to the decent friendly talented folk at KDE and not some obscure crime syndicate somewhere :)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:58 pm
The website is certainly not compromised and never was, and the issue with the date display was solved yesterday. Did you reload your browser tab with Ctrl+F5? I bet it is just a caching issue in your browser, keeping the old version.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:05 pm
@georgelappies:

This website was certainly not compromised (it was me who fixed it).
The reason was quite simple. The underlying web application works with "en" as locale string, also as fallback if you didn't use the language switcher on the bottom. The calendar popup is a simple jquery plugin, that simply was not aware of "en" as locale string, and instead needs "" (a blank parameter) to work. This would then be "en_GB".
So, the webapp handles "en" over, the plugin doesn't understand it, goes through its list of available language codes and the last thing it finds is a chinese variant. To not completely break, it just takes this one... ;)

The fix was quite simple, if the website wants to use "en" on this part of the webpage, instead use the plugin with "".

Hope that helps you not being worried about our security :)

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
georgelappies
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:55 pm
Thanks, it worked now :)

Mamarok I didn't mean anything bad with raising my concern over a possible compromise due to the Chinese calendar popping up, and I am definitely not implying that it was necessarily more worry some due to the fact that it was in Chinese either. It was just inconsistent and out of place which raised concern ;)

Glad that it is sorted out now.

wotan
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:22 pm
So far as I understand join the game is governed by the same people that govern KDE so It might be good to contribute financially there, but there might be better ways.
Ideally it would be better to pay a computer enginneer that does not use KDE/belong to the comunity and to tell him to only solve bugs and not implement any things. It would have the advantage to bring another view from an outsider on the software, and the way it is developped

(So you avoid the typical problem of having the same people with the same state of mind repeating the same mistakes)

But obviously one a significant amount of cash to really do this :'(
minniebennett
Registered Member

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:26 pm
Thanks guys! so much to learn here

promociones