This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Just to let you know.. ;)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wotan
Registered Member
OS

Just to let you know.. ;)

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:12 pm
Today I fresh install kubuntu 12.04 (see my other post to understand why, you will laugh already)
Sounds like the fresh install work (a luck I admit)
Then I copy back the whole content of my $HOME folder (and i do this properly aka: session logout, kdm stop and rsyncing)
I restart and the system is not usable...
When I click on the K button it last minutes before the menu appear
When I launch an apps it never appears...

It is hard to believe, but on can make the system complety trashable just by recopying config files.... (that were working properly by the way)

The goal of this post is just to remind people how bad Kubuntu/KDE can be. I am tired of hearing and reading people congratulating themselves, so sometimes I believe it is good to also come back to the reality and draw a real portrait of the actual situation

Cheers
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Just to let you know.. ;)

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:03 am
It sounds like something fundamentally incompatible with your system is being used - or the system is torn between old/new references, preventing it from working correctly.

These would include things such as the various symlinks in ~/.kde4/ for instance, as well as any custom *.desktop or menu entries under ~/.kde4 as well.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
aries k
Registered Member
OS

Re: Just to let you know.. ;)

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 am
Code: Select all
The goal of this post is just to remind people how bad Kubuntu/KDE can be. I am tired of hearing and reading people congratulating themselves, so sometimes I believe it is good to also come back to the reality and draw a real portrait of the actual situation

So just because it works well for others it makes you "tired" because they are "congratulating themselves" for their succsessfull installs? I am not allowed to post results of my successful installs? What is the logic behind that and how is that fair? So by your version of reality Kubuntu/KDE is bad because you say so correct? Freedom of choice, unless you have to use KDE/Kubuntu find the environment (or even operating system whether it is Linux or not) that works for you. It sounds to me you are just trying to turn others off of KDE/Kubuntu because you had a bad experience. That type of FUD/negativity will not get anything accomplished.