This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

is the recent news will cause the kde stop support ubuntu?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
l12436
Registered Member
I have notice the recently news.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Major-KD ... 6429.shtml

is this news will cause the kde stop support ubuntu, or this just let us know the kde won't support Xmir?
i am using the kubuntu.
i love the kubuntu distro.
i hope i will not need to change my distro.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
It's good to hear that you enjoy Kubuntu. The Kubuntu team has continuing support in the form of hosting and other infrastructure from Canonical and the Ubuntu community. We no longer rely on paid support from Canonical, and have not for quite awhile.

Since Kwin won't run correctly on Xmir, we don't plan to use that Xmir -- we need kwin! We don't know what the future holds, and continue to work to make Kubuntu the best KDE distribution. I hope you continue to like and use it. Martin and the rest of the Kwin developers like us, and will continue to support us.

All the best,

Valorie, for the Kubuntu team

l12436
Registered Member
so there is no plan about stop support the kubuntu support currently.
hoping there will not a day that need to stop support kubuntu.

i know the kwin won't support the Xmir, and i also hear the intel graphic chip will not support the Xmir too.
the wayland that used by kwin is great.
according to my using experience, there are a huge improve between kde 4.10 and 4.11.

i will continue report the bug that i found.

thanks for reply my post.
now i could be able to reply to other forum that the kubuntu will continue support.
l12436
Registered Member
i will ask this question because some news has say the kubuntu "the days of this Ubuntu flavor are probably numbered."
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
As I say, none of us knows the future. Maybe Mir and Xmir will wreck Kubuntu, but we simply do not know. There is no point in worrying about the unknown. We are reasonably sure that Wayland will work well for us, and we hope we can continue to provide the KDE desktop and applications on an Ubuntu base.

l12436
Registered Member
OK.

another question about the kde.
the kde is now develop kde5 and let the kde 4.11 support about 2 years.
this is the news that i receive from other forum.

but i still see the kde 4.12 schedule?
is that mean there will some new feature in 4.12 or that just a LTS for 4.11?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
I'm not qualified to answer your question. I hope it is seen in this topic, but if you don't get an answer here, please create a new topic and ask again.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Only the KDE Workspace itself has been set to LTS - while the relevant developers work on Plasma Workspaces 2 - which is the Qt 5 and KDE Frameworks 5 based variant of KDE Workspace.

The remainder of KDE will continue to be released as usual - so 4.12 will be released, and will include a version of KDE Workspace with the latest available bug fixes and other minor improvements as they are made.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]