This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

GeoLocation in KDE?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
johnrock
Registered Member

GeoLocation in KDE?

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:42 pm
I am disappointed to learn that the latest Gnome 3.10 has introduced new geolocation packages that enable sharing of your location with unknown third parties. I, like many people, have no interest in any packages that make it easier for my location to be tracked. Is KDE a safe haven from this new insidious GeoLocation API? Or is/will this be included in KDE as well?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: GeoLocation in KDE?

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:55 pm
Erm, disable it? The advantage of Free Software is that you only use what you want :) Geolocation is only possible if you, the admin of your system, allows it, as easy as that.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
johnrock
Registered Member

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:45 pm
Are you saying that the same Geolocation packages are indeed in KDE also? And if so, do you know for sure that it is possible to completely disable the functionality from administrator settings? I have seen posts regarding other distributions like Ubuntu where is seems very difficult or perhaps not possible to disable all geolocation tracking. Thanks for you help.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:21 pm
That I don't know, but I am saying that you are the master of your system, you enable the services you want to run, so just don't enable those services.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...