This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

The mysterious contents of xsession-errors-:0 ...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
metzman
Registered Member
OS
It was a choice of 'Workspace - Plasma', or 'here'... :-\ In this instance, 'here' seemed slightly more appropriate.

.xsession-error-:0 -- OK, I know that 'error' in the file name is rather a misnomer. I noticed lately the size of xsession-errors-:0 appears to be appreciably larger than it used to be.

Looking through it there was the 'usual stuff' I've seen before, but there now appears to be an increasing amount that relates to QML.

Then something else struck me... It doesn't always seem possible to know (at least to a casual observer) what the originating source of the 'error' was, or indeed, if it is actually an error.

Perhaps a leaf out of the x-server's log "(!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error" type prefix to the actual message.

Whilst I don't make a habit of scrutinising log files unless I'm specifically looking for something; I can't help but wonder if there is anything worthy of a passing bug report.

Just a few examples... (I'm not really looking for explicit answers in this case).

Code: Select all
static bool QDeclarativeMetaType::isModule(const QByteArray&, int, int) Qt 4.7 import detected; please note that Qt 4.7 is directly reusable as QtQuick 1.x with no code changes. Continuing, but startup time will be slower.
Now we don't really want slower start up time, but of course, 'slow' is relative.

file:///usr/lib64/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:175: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: sectionsRepeater

file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/plasmoids/notifier/contents/ui/devicenotifier.qml:224:13: QML QDeclarativeListView_QML_155: Possible anchor loop detected on fill.
Couple of QML related ones. (Transition to Plasma 2 and Frameworks 5 related I guess).

plasma-desktop(1149)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
This one I'm sure has been around for a long time... (But what plugin?)

QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.5'
Hmmm... been there myself... I know just how confused QDBusConnection must feel :)

I must have too much free time on my hands today. ;D
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Many of the above errors are printed by Qt I believe - in Qt 5 it is significantly more customisable in regards to the chattiness of warning/debug messages.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
metzman
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote: ... in Qt 5 it is significantly more customisable ...
Could you briefly elaborate on that ... or point me in the direction where I could find details. (Obviously choosing the wrong search terms with Google.)

... chattiness ...
Now, in my book, that beats "verbosity" any day! 8)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
By customisable i'm referring to qCDebug which allows for messages to be categorised at the Qt level and disabled through a configuration mechanism.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
metzman
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:By customisable i'm referring to qCDebug which allows for messages to be categorised at the Qt level and disabled through a configuration mechanism.

If one wants the correct answer, one must ask the correct question... Google is again my friend... Many thanks :)