This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KaOS

Tags: kaos kaos kaos
(comma "," separated)
Penguinclaw
Registered Member
OS

KaOS

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:10 pm
Hi to everyone on the forum.

Just wanted to know how many people had come across KaOS ? http://kaosx.us/

I stumbled across it a couple of months ago when I was searching for a rolling release for KDE. It uses the pacman package manager and is suitable only for x64 computers. I personally find it a well polished kde distro with the benefit of cutting edge package releases and as mentioned a rolling release. I would say give the iso a whirl and give it a go.

By the way I'm not selling anything and I have no personal association with KaOS other than as a happy user :)
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Re: KaOS

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 pm
Thanks for pointing this out! I was on Arch for years on end but eventually fried my system when I inadvertently deleted /bin... Since then I've been on LMDE but dropped that eventually because of their super poor KDE support and switched to Debian Testing. While I'm very happy with it I'll give KaOS a spin - if only for the name ;)

Debian testing
Penguinclaw
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:45 am
toad wrote:Thanks for pointing this out! I was on Arch for years on end but eventually fried my system when I inadvertently deleted /bin... Since then I've been on LMDE but dropped that eventually because of their super poor KDE support and switched to Debian Testing. While I'm very happy with it I'll give KaOS a spin - if only for the name ;)

I know what you mean with LMDE!! As for the name I love that too (and is quite fitting for me!!) but apparently they don't pronounce it like that. Still what they don't know is my pronunciation of Linux is wrong too :) I hope you find you like KaOS and perhaps a new distro to play with.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 am
What I sorely miss on their website is who is behind KaOS, just curious :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Penguinclaw
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:32 pm
Mamarok wrote:What I sorely miss on their website is who is behind KaOS, just curious :)

Funnily enough I hadn't noticed that!! I have gathered from their forum and Google+ that one of the owners is Demm. Not sure if that is a surname or user nickname though :)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:02 pm
Yes, seen that as well, but that doesn't ring a bell, and at least knowing something about the team is not asking too much.

We have seen too many new distributions come up with barely more than one person doing all the work, so doomed from start.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Penguinclaw
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:14 pm
Mamarok wrote:Yes, seen that as well, but that doesn't ring a bell, and at least knowing something about the team is not asking too much.

We have seen too many new distributions come up with barely more than one person doing all the work, so doomed from start.

Ahh don't say that I really like this distro!! :D Perhaps they could do with some tips on this although the blurb on their site clearly says they're not out to become big....

I suppose from my point of view once I've become more familiar with pacman I could move over to Arch. I'm actually trying Arch out on my Raspberry Pi, though of course not using KDE.
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 pm
If you want to get to know pacman have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta

Debian testing
Penguinclaw
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:53 pm
toad wrote:If you want to get to know pacman have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta

Oh wow thanks for that link!! Seems to answer a lot of questions; in fact I think I'll print that off as a reference source. :)
Penguinclaw
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:02 pm
Mamarok wrote:Yes, seen that as well, but that doesn't ring a bell, and at least knowing something about the team is not asking too much.

I've just done a little digging and come across this post: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=9526.0

Perhaps you know of Anke?
Michael
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:38 pm
I really love KaOS Linux. It is a really clean distro.

I think it is the work of Anke Boersma, alias demm in the forums. I have not seen anyone else as a "core member" though, so it maybe a one woman show. Despite that, it is very well done!

Michael, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. / KaOS Linux user
zachus
Registered Member
OS

KaOS

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 am

very much doomed. They have too few packages to be attractive and their censorship is beyond the pale :-\
since we simply have too many distros, its no big deal when some go under. There is no need for 1000 knock-off distros. making a distro is no harder than making a little app.