This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tearing, always tearing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tearingproblems
Registered Member

Tearing, always tearing

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:41 am
Hello there, I have just the most peculiar problem, kde is tearing, that's not a surprise really, every distro and DM or whatever they're called tears on my system, for an unknown reason.

The peculiar thing, is that is stops tearing every time I go to system settings, CHANGE ANYTHING and apply, it somehow resets/fixes the problem, the tearing stops, and everything is beautiful again. The question is, why does that happen ? Can I fix it permanently ? And why can't tearing be fixed once and for all ?

P.S. Does wayland fix tearing ? Is it even X's fault ? Is wayland already better than X ?
P.S.2 Sorry for the amount of questions.
P.S.3 I am sorry, if this is the wrong subforum, there does not seem to be a "Problems" subforum.

Thanks
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Tearing, always tearing

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:40 pm
Moved to the "KDE Café" forum, that's where such questions belong to.

But: your statement is vague at best, what exactly is tearing? Which processes, how did you set up your system? Which distribution do you use? Which exact KDE release? What are the specifics of your system (processor, RAM)?

You should be much more specific in your statements :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
tearingproblems
Registered Member

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:58 pm
Thanks for the answer.

tearing = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Tearing occurs everywhere, I do not believe it selectively picks processes/programs.
I installed arch linux, then nvidia drivers, then plasma, then kde-applications, and then some other stuff that probabaly does not matter, and I do not remember.

Distro: Arch Linux 4.0.6.1 x86_64
Kde: 5.11.0 ( at least that's what Konsole's Help says )
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz
GPU: Geforce GTX 460 64 bits 33MHz ( lol, what ? that's what lshw says )
Memory: DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 667 MHZ (1.5 ns) 4 GB x2 1GB 1x 2GB

I don't think being any more precise, would give you any useful information.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 pm
Erm, I do know what tearing means, I was asking what caused the tearing :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
tearingproblems
Registered Member

Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:08 pm
what exactly is tearing?

Anyway, I have no idea what causes it, if I knew, I probably would not come here seeking help, now would I ?

I just know that Linux just does not handle tearing well, it always happens, and always requires loads of tweaking to get rid of it.

My question was: Why does tearing happen before ( this is the important part ) I go to the system settings/compositor and change any option in there ? It does NOT matter which option, if I change ANY option, the tearing stops, but after I restart the PC, tearing is happening again, so I have to go to system settings/compositor again, and change anything again.

Answers to my other questions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
schnelle
Registered Member
OS

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:01 am
That is well know nvidia-kde bug.

See workaround here: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... i-settings