This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Neon (Arch Version)?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
theojay
Registered Member

KDE Neon (Arch Version)?

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 am
Hello everyone! :)

Over the past few weeks, I have been contemplating the possibility of KDE Neon using Arch instead of Debian. Now, I am aware of the stability of Debian, but I have to admit that the repositories are becoming quite aged and is not as vast as Arch repositories. I'm not trolling, by the way, just stating a fact. :)

I have been playing around on Arch for quite some time and I like the fact that it is up to date and is a rolling release, something that KDE Neon could definitely benefit from. The KDE stuff is always updated, so why not update the entire fleet? Arch is not usually considered due to it being bleeding edge, but what if you tame it? :) If I may, I am going to pull a bit from the Manjaro Linux book. Manjaro Linux is not super bleeding edge, but it provides as close as possible to it, whilst maintaining stable packages in the repositories. There is also the option of adding the AUR (via Yaourt) to grab more things. What I admire is that the applications in the repositories are as recent as possible and there is a great deal of choice.

KDE Neon, I feel, has a lot going for it. The UI is amazing. The stability is definitely there, but there are so many limitations to such an amazing setup that I end up sticking to Arch. I am no hardcore developer by any stretch, but wouldn't it be nice to test the waters of the unknown for once? Wouldn't it be great to give users a taste of what's really out there? People like myself enjoy something new and exciting. KDE Neon was like a heaven send for me, because KDE had, to some degree, its OWN distribution, something I've been waiting to see since the days of KDE 3 (not kidding!). I was hooked on KDE 3 years ago (playing Super Tux for hours) and it still holds a place on my mantle of amazing Linux experiences.

Not sure how soon I'll ever get to see a version of KDE Neon that uses Arch, but they day I do, I'll definitely be giving it a test run. :)

Thanks for reading! :)
Punky
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE Neon (Arch Version)?

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:00 am
First, KDE Neon is KDE + Ubuntu Lts, it is not based on Debian.

Second, KDE Neon (KDE Plasma packaged ny Neon team) + Arch (imagine that such a distro exists) is almost the same what you already have in Arch, latest stable KDE (non patched, upstream clear) + bleeding edge gnu/linux distro. They choosed Ubuntu LTS for a reason, and that reason probably would be stability.

For example we can use QT5 version. In Arch you have QT5 5.8, and plasma wayland session does not work well, but in KDE Neon they have Qt 5.7.1 and wayland works good, etc.....

But, I would like to see KDE Neon as a full distro build from scretch, but for that, they need a much more man power and time, and I do not thinks so we will see that in near future...

Reference:
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/444or0/is_there_going_to_be_a_repo_for_kde_neon_packages/
ivanthekdefan
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE Neon (Arch Version)?

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:57 pm
KDE neon is based on Ubuntu Core. It is semi-rolling; that is, KDE packages and some dependencies are rolling, but others are fixed.
Instead of neon/arch people have made Krypton, which is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed configured like KDE neon.
What's the point on KDE neon based on Arch anyway? We already have Antergos KDE, Manjaro KDE, Chakra, and KaOS.

Hi, I'm Ivan, a competent computer user (which means geek to most). I run KDE neon Developer when it works and KDE neon User when Developer doesn't work.
Hope I helped you with any problems you may have had :)